• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Please, reccomand me about 7233 GE NOS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I need your precious raccomandations about GE 7233 NOS.
Basically this tube has all technical requisites I need . But I have not experience on it so every suggestions will be very precious for me:)
Is it good in terms of microphonicity? ( perdone me if I am annoing with microphonicity but this is my obsession !:D )

Thanks,
Paolo

I doubt many people have played with it. I have a few in a box, but I've never plugged them in.

The 7233 is a regulator pass tube similar to 1/2 of a 6AS7. It was used in HP sweep generators and not much else. Therefore it is somewhat uncommon and costs about $10 to $15 each. I bought some and investigated their use as output tubes. I had an amplifier running using the 7233 as the output tube in both common cathode and cathode follower configuration. For this they work quite well with no unusual noise or distortion. They may be suitable for use in low signal stages, but I have not actually tried them.

The Russian 6S19P is a similar tube with a different pinout. It costs a lot less, so I have been using it for my experiments.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I first tried them as output line drivers from a line stage and also as the output in a headphone amp. Good tube and no trouble with it but I found other similar types more to my taste soundwise. I've also been using them for their intended purpose as regulator tubes for around five years now and for that application I like them.
As for microphonics yes they can be but if you spend some time playing with microphonic tubes you can deal with them.

tubelab.com said:

The 7233 is a regulator pass tube similar to 1/2 of a 6AS7. It was used in HP sweep generators and not much else. Therefore it is somewhat uncommon and costs about $10 to $15 each. I bought some and investigated their use as output tubes. I had an amplifier running using the 7233 as the output tube in both common cathode and cathode follower configuration. For this they work quite well with no unusual noise or distortion. They may be suitable for use in low signal stages, but I have not actually tried them.

The Russian 6S19P is a similar tube with a different pinout. It costs a lot less, so I have been using it for my experiments.

Wow , thanks tubelab, good to know it !:)

Does the 6S19P has the same (4) mu of the 7233?

P.S. My idea for it is a driver for a 100W power buffer ( 1X ) in AB/class with 2/3 pair of Sanken 16N-16P:rolleyes:

cheers,
Paolo

Bandersnatch said:
hey-Hey!!!,
I have used this one in a linestage. I got four used ones from a Tek 'scope. They served very well, no noise and no misbehaviour. The linestage( and half my 7233 stock ) died when I bent my truck while transporting it.
cheers,
Douglas

Linestage? interesting, seems perfect in this application IMO:cool:
No microphonics ( excuse , I need datas for make "statistic")?
What brand?

Cheers,
Paolo

Hearinspace said:
I first tried them as output line drivers from a line stage and also as the output in a headphone amp. Good tube and no trouble with it but I found other similar types more to my taste soundwise.

Please can you describe the sound of 7233 a bit?

I've also been using them for their intended purpose as regulator tubes for around five years now and for that application I like them.
As for microphonics yes they can be but if you spend some time playing with microphonic tubes you can deal with them. [/B]

What brand are you referring? Are some better than others in this aspect?

Thanks,
Paolo

Here is how i use it....

Made an amp with this tube a few years ago and it turned out to be one of the best ever. It is wonderfully dynamic and "black" sounding. The only drawback is it´s limited power output. I you want a few more watts you can allways replace the ccs at the output tubes with a decoupled cathode resistor. Another thing not in the schematic is a diode from ground to the input cathodes to avoid exessive grid current at startup.

BR,
Anders

Attachments

• plankan_small.jpg
    plankan_small.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 593
Cool amp, Anders! :cool:

Indeed I have to drive (both) a headphone 300 ohms and a solidstate power buffer ( not sure, I think a pair/triplet of sanken SAP16N-16P).
The 7233 + a previous 6n6P will be the VAS....:rolleyes:

"dark sound" ? Looks promising!:)

No microphonicity ? (I am waiting my 7233's from USA)

Thanks,
Paolo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.