• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

dual rectifier clone....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see the dual rectifier has 2 distorted gain channels..... I have built a dual rec clone but only have used the "red channel" option which uses a 680k with a .002 uf high pass filter. The original schematic has the "orange channel" option as well which uses a 2.2M with a 82 pf high pass filter. I was wondering which channel would have more gain and bite.

Am I correct in assuming the orange channel would be highter gain?

Attachments

• dual.jpg
    dual.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 287
NO - the Orange Channel will have LESS gain and bite.

The RED Channel that you have built will have more gain. Note the 680K forms an attenuator with the 1M pot (-4.5dB). The 0.002uF capacitor gradually removes that attenuation as frequency increases. The corner frequency is 117Hz. That is, that attenuator network is there simply to limit the amount of low bass into the next stage to keep the overdrive distortion from sounding to flabby and bloated. Given that the bottom E on your standard (not bass) guitar is 81Hz that means most off your guitar sound will pass through unattenuated.

The Orange channel has 2M2 with a parallel 82pF. That gives 10dB of attenuation. That means that the following stage will not be overdriven as much. It has different voicing in that the corner frequency from the 82pF is now at 882Hz which is above the fundamental frequency of any of the guitar notes and influences only the harmonics and the harmonic distortion products from the previous stage.

The RED Channel will have more distortion, more sustain and a darker tone.

The Orange Channel will have less distortion and a brighter tone.

Hope this is what you wanted to know.

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.