• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Resolving cold midrange in 5687 circuit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It does have a lot of gain. Its just a pre-amp.

Interesting circuit. You have a 6N30 driving a 6N6. How's it sound?

I kind of want to go as far as possible with this circuit before dumping it. Just like increasing my knowledge of what each tube/circuit is capable of ...

I completely agree.

I'll build it and listen. You've optimized it completely, yes? Very interesting.

This is my first 5687 circuit. Hope I can make it musical otherwise I'm going to try a couple different ones and I'll give yours a go. Thanks.

Have you tried lowering the grid stopper value? Or using a small hand wound air core coil there?

You have capacitor out. I want to stay with trans out. I like the bandwidth. Think they'll be problems dropping a OT in place of the .47?

phrarod said:
I completely agree.

I'll build it and listen. You've optimized it completely, yes? Very interesting.

This is my first 5687 circuit. Hope I can make it musical otherwise I'm going to try a couple different ones and I'll give yours a go. Thanks.

Have you tried lowering the grid stopper value? Or using a small hand wound air core coil there?

The circuit is optimized by Dick. The gridstopper / input capacitance allows for somewhat sloppy wiring, the most of us are guilty off. The whole story can be found here. It's a rather large download...

Looking at the circuit I think it's not handy to put an interstage transformer below the cathode. But if you wish, it's possible when you keep it at the right potential.

No, mine is in a wooden box.

If you want C-core output transformers I have two 5K:400 ohm units for sale. If memory serves right they're rated 50mA each. Transport will be expensive though (>3KG).

It's a rather big firm and audio has low priority. The waiting list at the moment is 12 weeks...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.