Have an odd problem with my Aikido. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2009, 01:47 AM   #1
JayH3 is offline JayH3  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Have an odd problem with my Aikido.

I built the octal Aikido setup from TubeCad.com. I am using the included Tung-Sol 6SN7 tubes and a very simple solid state power supply designed by Sy.

When the preamp is working everything sounds great. After about 30 minutes or so the left channel will about 98% shut off. If I turn off power to the amp output of the left channel will immediately return. I will flip the switch back on and listen for about another 20 minutes. At this point flipping the power switch may or may not make the output return.

Everything looks good on the equipment, all the the connections seem solid. The only thing is the tubes dont fit too firmly in the sockets.

Any ideas?
Old 13th February 2009, 02:58 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Have you tried swapping tubes between channels?
Old 13th February 2009, 03:00 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DigitalJunkie
Have you tried swapping tubes between channels?

Yup, The problem always stays in the one channel.
Old 13th February 2009, 03:09 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

First thing I'd do is resolder every joint in that channel.

Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, you can isolate whether the problem is from the voltage amplifier or the cathode follower.

See if you can induce the fault by turning a heat gun on the cathode resistors in the "difficult" channel right after the first turn-on and initial warm up. If that doesn't cause the problem, carefully use some freeze spray on the passive parts of that channel- don't get that on or near the tubes or you'll let in the air and let out the smoke.
Old 13th February 2009, 03:13 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Everything looks good on the equipment, all the the connections seem solid. The only thing is the tubes dont fit too firmly in the sockets.
Start by making the tubes fit firmly in the sockets and then go from there.
Old 13th February 2009, 03:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
First thing I'd do is resolder every joint in that channel.

Do you have an oscilloscope? If so, you can isolate whether the problem is from the voltage amplifier or the cathode follower.

See if you can induce the fault by turning a heat gun on the cathode resistors in the "difficult" channel right after the first turn-on and initial warm up. If that doesn't cause the problem, carefully use some freeze spray on the passive parts of that channel- don't get that on or near the tubes or you'll let in the air and let out the smoke.

Ill try these things this weekend.

Unfortunately I dont have an o-scope. I was thinking about getting one of the USB scopes. Do you have any experience with how well they function compared to a convential one?

I havent heard of freeze spray, but could I get the same effect from holding canned air upside down?
Old 13th February 2009, 03:18 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers

Start by making the tubes fit firmly in the sockets and then go from there.

Thats not going to happen. The pins on these tung sols seem thicker than most octals. I just tried seating one in my st70 which I have a different kind of socket in and they wont seat all the way in those sockets either.
Old 13th February 2009, 09:05 AM   #8
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Any electronics shop or mail order will have freeze spray. You want to really thermally shock the components to see which one is the culprit.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:22 AM   #9
protos is offline protos  Greece
diyAudio Member

I think 99.9% it is a bad solder joint according to your symptoms.I had a similar problem with mine when it warmed up i would get intermittent crackling otherwise sounded great.The solder joints looked good but it turned out one cathode resistor wire was a little short and was not soldered solidly on the pad but was "floating" inside the solder joint.
Old 13th February 2009, 10:33 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thats not going to happen. The pins on these tung sols seem thicker than most octals. I just tried seating one in my st70 which I have a different kind of socket in and they wont seat all the way in those sockets either
Well, for the heck of it I checked the pin size of a number of octal tubes and found variations in the neighborhood of .002 They will seat all the way into the socket with some force without breaking anything.

Quote:
By you comment "the tubes don't fit too firmly in the sockets" led me to believe they were sloppy. SORRY!

Resolder all connections and look at anything with a frosty appearance as being no good too cold a joint and re-do.

Hide this!Advertise here!