Question regarding 3rd wire grounding and safety - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2009, 04:37 PM   #1
Bitrex is offline Bitrex  United States
diyAudio Member

Question Question regarding 3rd wire grounding and safety

I'm wondering, when one connects the 3rd wire ground to the chassis of an amplifier to prevent the chassis going hot in case of a fault, doesn't this negate the safety benefit of floating the secondary of the primary transformer from the line side? Since the chassis is grounded at the IEC connector on the primary side, and probably through the input/output jacks on the secondary side, I would assume that it is now possible to be shocked just by touching the amplifier B+ or B- supplies and some grounded object, instead of having to touch both sides of the secondary transformer that's completely floating. Is this correct?
Old 12th February 2009, 05:36 PM   #2
jjman is offline jjman  United States
diyAudio Member

If I understand the question, yes. Although the HV secondary in the power transformer is center tapped or bridged from ground anyway. So the safety ground is not needed to get shocked while touching the B+ and the chassis.

Hide this!Advertise here!