• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Breadboarding Poindexter's 6GK5/EL34 Music Machine

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
Man, you have some nice transformers. Wish I had the disposable cash to drop on some of those. 60 mA Iq on EL34's sounds atypically high. I keep hearing that Dynaco biased them too high at 50 mA on the ST-70 and 40 is more appropriate. However, I -do- trust Poinz's design.

Speaking of ST-70's, how DID they deal with that same surge problem you were having. And wouldn't a thermistor in the B+ (right after the transformer) help resolve that?

..Todd

Man, you have some nice transformers. Wish I had the disposable cash to drop on some of those. 60 mA Iq on EL34's sounds atypically high. I keep hearing that Dynaco biased them too high at 50 mA on the ST-70 and 40 is more appropriate. However, I -do- trust Poinz's design.

Speaking of ST-70's, how DID they deal with that same surge problem you were having. And wouldn't a thermistor in the B+ (right after the transformer) help resolve that?

..Todd

I bought both the Hashimotos and the James transformers from other members on the swap meet here. :) I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on these new, but if my in-laws lived down the street from the James factory, I'd be all over that ;). I've had James quote some transformers and the direct price is reasonable, but shipping is a deal breaker.

The Hashimotos are the "budget" model, no potting, typical upright EI config.

Poinz' design specs the EL34's at 380V/50ma, I just bumped it up a bit. 400V/60ma in triode =24W, which is rated anode dissipation.

I'm running a ICL after the transformer on the MM's (a CL140 IIRC, it's been a while); the ST-70 uses a 5AR4, so there shouldn't be much B+ overshoot.

taj

diyAudio Member
Joined 2005
I can't bring myself to pull the trigger on these new, but if my in-laws lived down the street from the James factory, I'd be all over that ;). I've had James quote some transformers and the direct price is reasonable, but shipping is a deal breaker.

Sadly (for me), they moved out to a gated community in the middle of nowhere, so the thought of visiting them has become even less attractive. But if I ever go there for a visit, I'll certainly make a special trip into town for that. Or convince them to pick some up and deliver... Now there's a thought. ;)

..todd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.