• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Hybrid 25W Class-A, Opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm considering building this very nice hybrid amp, Class-A 25W:

http://www.diyaudio.de/html/25_25w_hybrid.html

It has balanced inputs, Lundahl input and interstage transformers, Absolutely no capacitor in the signal path
Zero dB feedback and 2-stage current amplification using Hitachi® Mosfets as driver and Sanken® bipolar power transistors.

Any comments on the tube preamp section?
Seems a very nice desing.

Thanks for your comments.

Bye.

It looks involved, expensive and redundant. I'm not trashing it but, why go from tube to mosfet to bipolar. Aren't each one of these kind of a contradiction in sound. I mean if you like the sound of tube's then I could almost see the mosfets, but bipolars don't sound like either one of those. They are unique unto themselves aren't they? I am in no way questioning your taste, merely making some observations and asking some questions.:scratch: Maybe I'm too simple at times. Do you know anyone who has heard it? After all, that's what it's all about.

The follower of the follower...

PassFan said:
It looks involved, expensive and redundant. I'm not trashing it but, why go from tube to mosfet to bipolar. Aren't each one of these kind of a contradiction in sound. I mean if you like the sound of tube's then I could almost see the mosfets, but bipolars don't sound like either one of those.

Questions about sound a part (subjectives) ...the reason why the designer use a bipolar follower after a source follower is for to lower the output impedance..as the amp don't have overall feedback

For instance if the mosfet output impedance is 1 or 2 Ohms...after the bipolar folower this became the (current gain of the transistor times)..less..

Exe. output mosfet impedance mosfet 2 Ohms... current gain of the transistor 50...the output impedance become 2/50=0,04

Re: The follower of the follower...

Tube_Dude said:

Questions about sound a part (subjectives) ...the reason why the designer use a bipolar follower after a source follower is for to lower the output impedance..as the amp don't have overall feedback

For instance if the mosfet output impedance is 1 or 2 Ohms...after the bipolar folower this became the (current gain of the transistor times)..less..

Exe. output mosfet impedance mosfet 2 Ohms... current gain of the transistor 50...the output impedance become 2/50=0,04

Thanks

:)

I see capacitors everywhere...

Keep in mind that each stage has an AC current loop. The input stage has 4 capacitors (counting caps and bypasses caps as one) in the singnal path between the input and the interstage transformer. You have 2 cathode bypass caps and 2 power supply to ground caps.

In the output stage you have 2 caps/bypasses referencing the secondarys of the interstages to ground plus the final caps in the power supply.

All the numbers above are per channel.

Some Thoughts ...

Hi,

if I'm writing about no capacitors in the signal path I mean coupling capacitors.
Of course all capacitors in the power supply and decoupling capacitors are also included in the signal path.
The goal for these capacitors is to achieve a low or at least a uniformly constistent impedance over the frequency range.
It depends how you look at things ...
The reason why this unusual combination of MOSFET driver and bipolar power transistors has been chosen is to achieve a high input impedance with a very low input capacitance (compare 2SK213 vs. 2SK 1058) and a very low output impedance which can only be achieved with bipolars if you want to avoid paralleling.

Best regards,

Norbert

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LOOK MA, NO CAPS...NO SOUND.

Hi,

Why do you guys critisize the fact that this project uses a few caps? :(

Does anyone hold a supercircuit with no caps at all?

Get real folks...please?

FWIW, I thank mister Norbert Bayer for lettings have all his hard work.

Cheers, ;)

fregrove's right, a cap is used for certain reasons. Why build something without caps? Why not build something without transistors and tubes? Hell, let's omit the resistors too, then it'd be alot better!

Without cathode bypass capacitors you'd get local negative feedback and have a lower gain, some people swear against negative feedback, some people swear against capacitors. Everything is a compromise. But in the end all that matters is if it sounds good. So I say give it a try...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.