• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

DO-35 diode inside vacuum tube ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking at the close up view in the last picture on the page here
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0772.htm

it appears to me to be some sort of mechanical support or stiffener. The lead going through it does not seem to actually go anywhere, it seems to be curved like a spring and is pressing against the bottom structure. Perhaps it reduced microphonics ??

If it was electrically connected somehow that I cant see then perhaps it is some sort of spark gap protection ??

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
pjp said:
It isn't a support.
Its the only connection to the grid (gate).

It appears to me that it goes to pin 5 which is open, and the thin line through it appears to be nothing more than a distorted image of a lead behind it. To me it appears to be nothing more than a support. (I'm using a very good CRT monitor and image magnification and that is what it looks like to me.)

Tubes have grids, fets of various descriptions have gates.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
refference said:

I don't think so . The purpose is to provide INSULATION , between the internal electrode where it is connected and the
external pin 5 .

kevinkr is correct !!

Regards ,

Carlos

The glass bead provides a relatively high Q and very small capacitance between the adjoining leads while providing additional mechanical support. Pin 5 happens to be a convenient support point. I suspect this tube was probably intended to be relatively simple and inexpensive to make.

It is not unusual to bring out several grid leads in types intended for grounded grid operation (sometimes well into the VHF range and beyond) as this reduces the effective inductance in series with the grid, each doubling of the number of leads reduces it by half - in theory and really only if the lead lengths are equal.. (5842/417A for example has 4 grid leads)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.