Where to go for tube gear in Hong Kong? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2009, 07:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where to go for tube gear in Hong Kong?

I'm heading to Hong Kong next week and was hoping someone could give me a tip as to where to look for cheap $$$ tube gear.
Old 21st February 2009, 07:38 AM   #2
TTo is offline TTo  Finland
diyAudio Member

Also I will visit HK in the near future. Any recommendations would still be appreciated. How was your treasure hunt, Leadbelly?
Old 21st February 2009, 12:27 PM   #3
rtsang is offline rtsang  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

What are you guys looking for? Used gears or parts or kits?

I recommend diyhifisupply. They are a bit tricky to find as they are in an industrial complex/warehouse, but that's how to keep the price down by getting the rent cheap.

Here is the website DIY HiFi Supply

The obbligatto caps are wonderful and the price are really very hard to beat. Call first before you go.

For more exotic shopping experience, try Apliu Street. It is next to Sham Shui Po subway station. Just check your price and don't get ripped off. Also beware of fake tubes.

For a really exotic shopping experience, go cross the border to ShenZhen China, there is a mall where they sell lots of China made gears, fake caps and remarked parts and old transformers and old oil caps. For years, US has been dumping toxic waste to China, like old Western Electric amps, telephone repeaters etc, and guys in China have been salvaging the caps and transformers for sale.

I'll try to find the name of the street and directions and post it here.

Raymond
Old 21st February 2009, 06:12 PM   #4
TTo is offline TTo  Finland
diyAudio Member

My interest lies in "parts". The Shenzhen address would be great. Thanks for the guidance so far!
Old 22nd February 2009, 01:35 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Huaqianbei Road

The largest electronic parts mall is in the SEG Plaza in Huaqianbei Road in ShenZhen.

Just beware, lots of parts are fake or remarked goods.

Happy hunting.

Here is the wikipedia link
Old 22nd February 2009, 09:29 PM   #6
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

You might try:

Real electronics/audio shops
Old 23rd February 2009, 01:03 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Default Hong Kong BUSH

Yes, Hong Kong Bush is a nice place to get parts.

Their prices are not the cheapest, but they do sell genuine goods.
My only complaint is that they open 9-5, Monday to Friday, so I can never visit them except I take leave from work.

On the other hand, shops in Apliu Street open from 12n to 8pm, 7 days a week.

Raymond
Old 23rd February 2009, 01:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Funny that this thread only got replies after i left But in all fairness it is a repetitive topic and there are several good threads already.

In the end, I did not buy much at all, as I was disappointed by prices. Prices for goods in general did not fare very well against Canadian prices or even eBay prices. I am not really sure why, and maybe there is more than one factor. It should be said that I build at the low end, buying cheap tubes and cheap iron when I can. If you are big into NOS tubes and high end components the HK shops might look like a candy store to you and come away witha very different perception.

Anyways, this is what I did buy: a matched quad of NOS Sino KT-88 tubes on sale for $HK300 at YK Audio Ltd. on Queen's Road Central (I know these tubes have a horrible reputation, but I should get at least a working matched pair); a pair of 500VA 220V/110V stepdown transformers for $HK240 from WECL on Apliu St.; a pair of ALPS Black Beauty for $HK120 from Main Electronics on Apliu St.; 8 7-pin tube sockets for $HK20 from Bush mentioned by EC.

Hide this!Advertise here!