• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Where to go for tube gear in Hong Kong?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What are you guys looking for? Used gears or parts or kits?

I recommend diyhifisupply. They are a bit tricky to find as they are in an industrial complex/warehouse, but that's how to keep the price down by getting the rent cheap.

Here is the website DIY HiFi Supply

The obbligatto caps are wonderful and the price are really very hard to beat. Call first before you go.

For more exotic shopping experience, try Apliu Street. It is next to Sham Shui Po subway station. Just check your price and don't get ripped off. Also beware of fake tubes.

For a really exotic shopping experience, go cross the border to ShenZhen China, there is a mall where they sell lots of China made gears, fake caps and remarked parts and old transformers and old oil caps. For years, US has been dumping toxic waste to China, like old Western Electric amps, telephone repeaters etc, and guys in China have been salvaging the caps and transformers for sale.

I'll try to find the name of the street and directions and post it here.

Raymond

Hong Kong BUSH

Yes, Hong Kong Bush is a nice place to get parts.

Their prices are not the cheapest, but they do sell genuine goods.
My only complaint is that they open 9-5, Monday to Friday, so I can never visit them except I take leave from work.

On the other hand, shops in Apliu Street open from 12n to 8pm, 7 days a week.

Raymond

Funny that this thread only got replies after i left :) But in all fairness it is a repetitive topic and there are several good threads already.

In the end, I did not buy much at all, as I was disappointed by prices. Prices for goods in general did not fare very well against Canadian prices or even eBay prices. I am not really sure why, and maybe there is more than one factor. It should be said that I build at the low end, buying cheap tubes and cheap iron when I can. If you are big into NOS tubes and high end components the HK shops might look like a candy store to you and come away witha very different perception.

Anyways, this is what I did buy: a matched quad of NOS Sino KT-88 tubes on sale for $HK300 at YK Audio Ltd. on Queen's Road Central (I know these tubes have a horrible reputation, but I should get at least a working matched pair); a pair of 500VA 220V/110V stepdown transformers for $HK240 from WECL on Apliu St.; a pair of ALPS Black Beauty for $HK120 from Main Electronics on Apliu St.; 8 7-pin tube sockets for $HK20 from Bush mentioned by EC.

I'm heading to Hong Kong next week and was hoping someone could give me a tip as to where to look for cheap $$$ tube gear.

Be Very careful with the false claims of Marantz 7 Pre amp copied circuits . And Music Angels claims as i have bought from Douk audio and music Angel power amps + other Quad 4 tube amps and within a few months had get rid of them in the Rubbish bins.
They all claim that they are copies of the original. And inside them their nothing but Rubbish amps dont waste you money on Chinese copies. You are much better off by collecting your money and buying the real thing . With a known brand name like audio research/Cary or Musical Fidelity or other Italian and european Built Amps thats properly designed or even The Paragon Amps and Pre Amps manufactured in Australia. Buy proper technicianians . I my self am getting a engineer to build me The Luxman A 2003 8 tube 3 way Active Crossover and a pair of mono block 211/845 tube Power Amps by Paragon Australia made . These are only built by advance order and the builder takes 50 %advance Payment and takes around 2 to 10 weeks to complete it they are all hand built to suit your needs
Kind Rgds
Francis Jansz
Melbourne Australia:mafioso:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.