• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

need help in building tube amplifier 10 watter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi guys.
i would like to build and SE tube amp. i need schematic for amplifier tubes that might be simple (less part count) to build for newbie. high voltage is not a problem.

i am after around output of 10 watt or more.

read bout 300B. they have 9 watt. any other choice?

and how to determine output transformer?

regards, Erwin

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The difference between 9W and 10W is small fractions of a dB, and you won't hear the difference. 18W would be just a 3dB difference and is just enough to be a noticeable increase in an otherwise ideal amplifier.

You haven't mentioned your budget, and powers in excess of 10W in SE amplifiers usually come at the expense of increased complexity and cost. The bigger transformers and output tubes required quickly get expensive.

How much power do you really need, what kind of speakers are you driving, how efficient are they, how large is your room, and how loud do you like your music.

There are tons of 300B and other amplifier designs on the web, you just need to search.

I would recommend tubelab's products here: http://www.tubelab.com/

ops forgot to mention the budget is around $1000 excluding casing

my speaker should be around 87db. i have try using cheap t-amp 10 watt and it could drive the speaker to the listening volume with ease hence i assume the SE with just do the same with my 2 way diy speaker.

my room is around W3.5mxL5mxH2.7m

hi rdf

i lose you. whats A2 action? thx for the inputs

Hi,

milen007 said:
...any other choice?

Yes. SE a 6550 or KT88. Gorgeous sound.
(...and no witchdoctor blessings needed :clown: )

Typical 6550 in SE:
Class A Amplifier
Plate Voltage ................................. 250 V
Grid No. 2 Voltage ............................ 250 V
Grid No. 1 Voltage ............................ -14 V
Plate Current (Zero Signal) ................... 140 mA
Plate Current (Maximum Signal) ................ 150 mA
Grid No. 2 Current (Zero Signal) .............. 12 mA
Grid No. 2 Current (Maximum Signal) ........... 28 mA
Load Resistance ............................... 1500 Ω
Power Output (approx) ......................... 12.5 W
Total Harmonic Distortion ..................... 7 %

Cheers!

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
An SE amp has to operate in Class A, i.e. the OP tube is always conducting and never cuts off even at maximum power. It's normally in Class A1, which means the grid never goes positive and grid current never flows.

However, if you use a suitable output tube that can stand grid current without distorting or melting the grid, and can provide a low impedance driver that can supply current to the grid, then you can allow the grid to go positive. That is known as Class A2 and will give you more power.

hi Geek. your suggestions has lower part counst.

but i have question on the output transformer:

James output SE transformer .. is this the one?
JS-6133H 120mA 3.5K 30W 15Hz-90KHz-2dB 300B / 12E1 / EL34 D 4.8

and also the choke loaded 10H. the choke i know have only have two connection. is this the same as well. one connection to the ground and the other connection into the cathode ECC83 and grid of EL34?

thx

Hi,

milen007 said:
but i have question on the output transformer:

That will work fine, yes.

You could also try an Edcor or Hammond, but I think shipping will make the prices all similar.

milen007 said:
and also the choke loaded 10H. the choke i know have only have two connection. is this the same as well. one connection to the ground and the other connection into the cathode ECC83 and grid of EL34?

Forgive my misunderstanding.... the power supply uses 10H and the grid choke is 80H, both 2-wire types. What is the question referring to?

Cheers!

ops sorry typo

i mean the 80H one for the grid choke. vr3=100k pot?

i have question on the output transformer:

another thing, whats the suggested resistor wattage in the circuit? except the power supply? 1/4 watt or 1/2watt? or 1 watt?

just making sure i understand correctly. each channel need it own output transformer right?

how much current draw per channel? the power supply choke 10H 180mA for single channel or two channel? thx

milen007 said:

i have question on the output transformer:

Being in Indonesia, I would go for a SILK transformer.

http://www.sacthailand.com/

You can also see a comparison among 3-3.5K transformers (James included) by looking where it says "silk output testing" after selecting transformers on the main page.

Cheers,

hi 45

nice. thats a great suggestion, within the budget range. i saw this opt in one hongkong site. but this one definately a lot cheaper. nearer to indonesia as well. plus they have distributor in indonesia. will try to contact the distributor and see if can get good deals. thx for the tips.

other tips? please keep it coming. as this is my first tube class A build. has done some preamp and speaker. and this just exciting.

erwin

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.