forced aircooling - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th February 2009, 12:04 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default forced aircooling

hi there

a thought that's been on my mind for some time. how much would you be able to push a tube with some serious aircooling? say, a 300B with some massive noisy fans (i can put my amps in another room, or even outside), would you be able to push it to 50-60W? more?

i know it's common with big **** transmitter tubes etc ..

cheers,

mb4b
Old 5th February 2009, 12:18 AM   #2
nhuwar is offline nhuwar  United States
diyAudio Member

You could try and push it a little but not to much, maybe a few extra watts.

Nick
Old 5th February 2009, 12:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
No not really .JJs' 'hot' 300B is rated at 40 watts.
You are assuming there is a direct connection between heat generated and power, there really is none. Seen the insides of a tube? Lotsa fine delicate stuff inside, easy to make fireworks with.
______________________________________-Rick...........
Old 5th February 2009, 12:41 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I agree will Richard. It's been common practice for ham operator to push tubes but it's always a gamble. And that is with old quality made tubes, most new stuff I doubt could handles this. But when it all comes down to it, it's your call, just remember most fac glass tubes have a chimney and ducting for the air to be routed around the pins.

As you push a tube harder past it's rating you will start to lose the vacuum.

Nick
Old 5th February 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
m6tt is offline m6tt  United States
diyAudio Member

Air cooling in glass envelope tubes only allows the envelope temperature to be kept low. The plate radiates heat, and so it doesn't matter what you blow at it, it's in a vacuum. That being said, it might allow you to push it in tubes where the bulb will fail before the plate starts outgassing bad. The transmitter tubes that are forced air cooled have *external anodes*, which means some of the plate structure is out "here" in plain air. This allows the direct cooling of the plate with convective means, but also means you have a big piece of high conductivity metal with a couple thousand volts on it hanging out nearby.
Old 5th February 2009, 12:59 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m6tt
Air cooling in glass envelope tubes only allows the envelope temperature to be kept low. The plate radiates heat, and so it doesn't matter what you blow at it, it's in a vacuum. That being said, it might allow you to push it in tubes where the bulb will fail before the plate starts outgassing bad. The transmitter tubes that are forced air cooled have *external anodes*, which means some of the plate structure is out "here" in plain air. This allows the direct cooling of the plate with convective means, but also means you have a big piece of high conductivity metal with a couple thousand volts on it hanging out nearby.

I don't see that if you pushed a tube's dissipation by a few watts would it cause the envelope to fail, I don't think it wouldn't happen. If you kept the seals cool it would be fine besides damage done to the internals, ie plate outgassing. Of course the other problem would be the grid dissipation.

Ask George From Tubelab and he will be able to give much more info on the sudject then I can though.

An example I have pushed a 3c24 to a dissipation of 100 watts and all that happened was the getter material on the anode started to sublimate of and condense on the inside of the glass envelope.

And believe it or not the 3c24 is still functional
Nick
Old 5th February 2009, 02:42 AM   #7
m6tt is offline m6tt  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't mean to imply that the seals or envelope are going to blow if you push the current/voltage a bit . I just imagine that aircooling a glass tube would really only affect the envelope and not the anode so much...maybe you could mount the fan under the tube to cool the seals & maybe the plate a little through the pin. Probably wouldn't give you much.

I guess my example referred to tubes like the 6aq5, where I have a feeling the maximums are derated from 6v6 for reasons other than cathode size or arc-over, but because of bulb temp. It's just a hunch, maybe tubelab will blow some up someday and we'll see what the failure mode is
Old 5th February 2009, 09:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

thanx gentlemen, interesting stuff
Old 5th February 2009, 09:50 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m6tt
I guess my example referred to tubes like the 6aq5, where I have a feeling the maximums are derated from 6v6 for reasons other than cathode size or arc-over, but because of bulb temp.
It is envelope temp, since the 6AQ5's wrap around anode is quite close to the glass.

Quote:
It's just a hunch, maybe tubelab will blow some up someday and we'll see what the failure mode is
He already did that, getting a 6AQ5 to put out some 30W. The glass melted.
Old 5th February 2009, 09:57 PM   #10
Banned

Valves operate by virtue of a temperature differential.

If the anode were as hot as the cathode then all other things being equal, their emissions would be equal.

The anode (in a glass valve) loses heat by radiation, and to a degree by conduction in some cases.

If the envelope is hot, it radiates heat back to the anode.

Not only does reduced envelope temperature reduce noise, it also improves valve life. A corollary of this is that it permits operation at higher anode dissipations. The problem is, how much?

You can get push-on valve heatsinks, you know.

w

Don't do it. Accept the improvement in valve life. If you want more power, build bigger.

Hide this!Advertise here!