• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Magga Amp Workshop" builds again (Simple 45 Project)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Greetings dear friends!

Couple of months ago i decided to build an amp to drive my headphones, but as weeks went by and i really didnt find what i was looking for, i changed my mind and decided to build simple SE amp for my speakers. My current 2W amp is just a tad too weak so with these 2A3's im supposed to get around 5W.

Simple 45 using 2A3's (2001 edition)

This is very porpular design, mainly beacause its simplicity and reputation as a sweet sounding amp. All parts were quite easy to acquire even here in Finland. I could have used little bit cheaper parts, but i really want to make this as good as i possibly can. My budget is 700 euros, much more than really is needed to build this amp.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hammond enclosure and irons. Feel free to suggest a nice color scheme! I was thinking about deep orange with shiny laquer.... we will see.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Some good quality caps

Lovely NOS Bulgin switch that im going to use. I bought handful of these.

As you saw, i have already bought most of the parts. Im going to get Welter OPT's from germany in 2-3 weeks, so i have plenty of time to accomplish rest of this amp first.

Here are the PCB's i designed last week.

This is the timer board with Omron G2R relays to cut mains and high voltages. Nothing speacial here. 12V regulated power supply and a simple 555 timer to delay B+ for about 10 seconds.
Those big caps next to relays are orange drops..i didnt know they would be that big but luckily i have free space to spend :smash:

This is the input selector board. 4 Omron G5V relays and pretty much nothing else :rolleyes:

The amp itself is going to builded point to point. Heres a little drawing of it.

:att'n: The drawing is far from perfect, and the scales are screwed up, but you might get the idea.

To be continued... :D

-Niila Magga

This is my luck! Of cource google doesnt like copying images like that, so ill try with photobucket this time. Sorry to double post some pictures but i think the rest will disappear too in some time... I hate this kind of tweaking! :mad: If any admin sees this i hope the first post could be deleted..

Greetings dear friends!

Couple of months ago i decided to build an amp to drive my headphones, but as weeks went by and i really didnt find what i was looking for, i changed my mind and decided to build simple SE amp for my speakers. My current 2W amp is just a tad too weak so with these 2A3's im supposed to get around 5W.

Simple 45 using 2A3's (2001 edition)

This is very porpular design, mainly beacause its simplicity and reputation as a sweet sounding amp. All parts were quite easy to acquire even here in Finland. I could have used little bit cheaper parts, but i really want to make this as good as i possibly can. My budget is 700 euros, much more than really is needed to build this amp.

Hammond chassis and irons. Feel free to suggest a nice color scheme! I was thinking about deep orange with shiny laquer.... we will see.

Some good quality caps

Lovely NOS Bulgin switch that im going to use. I bought handful of these.

As you saw, i have already bought most of the parts. Im going to get Welter OPT's from germany in 2-3 weeks, so i have plenty of time to accomplish rest of this amp first.

Here are the PCB's i designed last week.

This is the timer board with Omron G2R relays to cut mains and high voltages. Nothing speacial here. 12V regulated power supply and a simple 555 timer to delay B+ for about 10 seconds.
Those big caps next to relays are orange drops..i didnt know they would be that big but luckily i have free space to spend :smash:

This is the input selector board. 4 Omron G5V relays and pretty much nothing else :rolleyes:

To be continued... :D

-Niila Magga

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.