• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12B4 Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
sorry , Ray - I didn't realize that is you asking , even if I salute your efforts and enthusiasm previously ;

unfortunately , I'm not so familiar with many of 12B4 premp variants , even if I participate earlier in thread , drawing one of first tube shunt regs ( pretty crude and simple , by demand) .
that thread - linked to our Serbian forum , is with CCS load for 12B4 ; I resume origin is from here , big DiyA , and variety of various CCS-es is pretty well xplained in article made by local (P10 and gang) , and you can find it here : http://choky.diyaudio.rs/downloads/diyAudio-CCS-beta3.pdf .
unfortunately , schematics are crucial , so I can't even imagine ways how you are ( already been ) doing things like these .
if you are in mood for that - write specifically how we can help you , and I'll try ..... even if I'm pretty ignorant in many bits 'n' pieces locally available to you , just because I'm living on other side of big splash .
:cheers:

maybe this will help you :

12B4A preamp - DIYAudio.rs

pics and schematics aren't in Serbian :rofl: , and you don't need to register to see graphics

edit: shunt reg is further down the thread , one per channel

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

This is one of the best DIY executions I have ever seen!!:cool:
Have a look at the last page of the thread Zen Mod links to, guys!

I'm about halfway into building a 12B4A preamp. I confess that I am distracted by all the circuits out there.
My friend who used to work on tube TVs told me there is no reason to terminate both grid inputs. I'm using a tube prototyping board and went ahead and cut the lands off from the other grid. The active grid has a 3.3K ohm metal film feeding a 100ohm grid stopper. Should I use another 100 ohm Grid stopper to connect the unconnected Grid to the 3.3K resistor?
It looks like there are two conflicting design philosophies on the 12B4A preamps- a high voltage 300V B+ with a 1.5K cathode resistor, and a lower 180V B+ with a 500 ohm cathode resistor. Is there any sonic benefit to using either one?
I plan on using cascoded Mosfets for the current source. Supplies will be regulated.

Should I use another 100 ohm Grid stopper to connect the unconnected Grid to the 3.3K resistor?
there are two conflicting design philosophies on the 12B4A preamps- a high voltage 300V B+
with a 1.5K cathode resistor, and a lower 180V B+ with a 500 ohm cathode resistor.

There's only one grid, with two different pins both connected to it.
Most tubes can be used with a range of operating conditions,
usually the higher current/power dissipation point is better.

1. If not using 2x 3.3k carbon on pins 2,7 most 12B4A will simply oscillate.
2. Mikvous has done all those B+ and bias points with resistor anode loads and the LM317 cathode CCS one. We have listened to them all. 330V B+, cascode mosfet anode load, and 15mA with 1k2 cathode resistor bypassed, is surely the best we experienced. Opinions may vary but this is the best advice I can give you in my experience.
I'm having issues with my 12B4 project preamp. I can't see any oscillation on the output, but I'm using a very old Fluke 97 Scopemeter.
It does sound distorted though. OK on simple signals but things get dark and muddy with complex musical arrangements.

I have been unable to post any pictures to DIYAudio. It will not work if I try to posts pictures from my Facebook page.
I'm using a stacked MOSFET Constant current supply feeding the plate of the 12B4 through a 147.5 ohm resistor stack. Each MOSFET has a 1kOhm gate stopper resistor. I have a 910 ohm resistor stack on the cathode to ground. It is bypassed with 100uF Nichicons. I have a 3.3Kohm MF grid stopper resistor on both grid terminals. The cathode resistor current is 15mA.

I'm using regulated 270V supplies for B+.
As I mentioned, the preamp sounds dark and muddy and easily gets congested on complex music signals. My instinct is to increase the B+ but I can't get much more than 300V without exceeding my raw supply.
Any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.