• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube manaul data sheets

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'd like to pick up one or more books of tube data so I can have that information right in front of me instead of looking up certain tubes on the interwebs. Are there any versions that should be sought out or any that should be avoided? Or are they all basically the same?

thanks

atmars said:
Are there any versions that should be sought out or any that should be avoided? Or are they all basically the same?

This will depend on just how much information you will want for any tube number. The most easily obtainable reference is probably the RCA RC-30 receiving tube manual from around 1975. It covers most all late model tubes with one set of plate curves. Older numbers are in condensed form at the back of the book along with some circuits. Sylvania also made a nice 3-ring binder type that was updateable. These may or may not be complete if you find one, but still worth having. And any old copy of the Radio Amateur's Handbook has a condensed tube spec. listing.

Much more information is available in the RCA HB-3 handbook series. This is a multi volume (5) small loose leaf, but very thick, set that provides more curves and covers receiving, industrial, transmitting, cathode ray and other special types. One such volume is shown below. These have become rare and difficult to find.

But RCA didn't make everything. To be well rounded you'll want handbooks from at least several others like Amperex, Siemens or any other European maker that you can find.

Finally many, if not all, of the once big American tube manufacturers published large loose leaf binders of tube specifications. These have become very rare, but once in a blue moon, you might find one or two on eBay for big money. Fortunately for me, I've been around long enough to have collected many of these. However I find that, for the most part, the common small tube manuals are the ones I use most.

Victor

Attachments

• hb3.jpg
    hb3.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 102
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.