• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube amp with "meter"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tube amp with "meter"?

Hello,

I am building a 16 LS kit, with tone control from S5 and wanted to install a "meter" that is used on tube amps. Unfortunately, I do not know what the "meter" it is called or if it is ammeter/voltmeter or something else.

Here is a picture of what it looks like :
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9085/img1187ms6.jpg

That particular one might not be specific to tube amps, but i have seen some tube amps that have meters like them.

If someone knows what kind of meters they are and how to install them on the S 5 16LS (http://www.s5electronics.com/l16stereo.html), please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

I have a Carver SS power amp and the meters show a representation of the amount of watts being delivered and decibels.

But I imagine most tube amps have meters to show levels of bias in mA. Maybe to adjust and keep an eye on the bias.

Maybe someone with meters on their tube amps can chime in.

The meters you have noted are of course power meters showing output power, they do not show decibel outputs as commonly known (SPL levels).
I did not study your schematic but most likely it uses autobiasing & does not require manual rebiasing.
The world is your oyster when it comes to output meters from simple mechanical meter movements thru LEDs', Nixie tubes, Flouroscans and my favorite ...Tube indicators.
As tube amps have gentle limits approaching clipping, an output meter is kinda more of an esthetic add-on than a usefull device.
___________________________________Rick...........

Attachments

• fertig-foto-em87.jpg
    fertig-foto-em87.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 411
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Hi!

my experience was with Studiomaster 400C Solid State Amp so i suppose it will work for tube amp:

both L and R analog vumeters were connected in parallel to - and + speaker output.
I suppose vumeters have big impedance then small signal will pass through them and most part of audio signal will reach speakers.

in this case a vumeter is just an AC voltmeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.