Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2009, 10:04 PM   #1
stl is offline stl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Tube amp with "meter"?

Hello,

I am building a 16 LS kit, with tone control from S5 and wanted to install a "meter" that is used on tube amps. Unfortunately, I do not know what the "meter" it is called or if it is ammeter/voltmeter or something else.

Here is a picture of what it looks like :
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/9085/img1187ms6.jpg

That particular one might not be specific to tube amps, but i have seen some tube amps that have meters like them.

If someone knows what kind of meters they are and how to install them on the S 5 16LS (http://www.s5electronics.com/l16stereo.html), please let me know.

Thanks for your help.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:18 PM   #2
Brit01 is offline Brit01  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I have a Carver SS power amp and the meters show a representation of the amount of watts being delivered and decibels.

But I imagine most tube amps have meters to show levels of bias in mA. Maybe to adjust and keep an eye on the bias.

Maybe someone with meters on their tube amps can chime in.
Old 30th January 2009, 10:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
The meters you have noted are of course power meters showing output power, they do not show decibel outputs as commonly known (SPL levels).
I did not study your schematic but most likely it uses autobiasing & does not require manual rebiasing.
The world is your oyster when it comes to output meters from simple mechanical meter movements thru LEDs', Nixie tubes, Flouroscans and my favorite ...Tube indicators.
As tube amps have gentle limits approaching clipping, an output meter is kinda more of an esthetic add-on than a usefull device.
___________________________________Rick...........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fertig-foto-em87.jpg (25.1 KB, 362 views)
Old 30th January 2009, 11:26 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I must say I love my meters on my Carver. But I'm also building Tube stuff. In the middle of an Aikido. Love to have some meters on these.

My carver meters show dB and watts.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg carver meters smaller.jpg (66.9 KB, 341 views)
Old 30th January 2009, 11:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I must say I love my meters on my Carver. But I'm also building Tube stuff. In the middle of an Aikido. Love to have some meters on these.

Old 30th January 2009, 11:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Old 31st January 2009, 02:02 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brit01
I have a Carver SS power amp and the meters show a representation of the amount of watts being delivered and decibels.
Does anyone know where to buy these meters and where exactly in the circiut would one connect it?

If I had to call a company to order one, what would I ask for? (a decibel/watt meter?)

Here is a schematic of the amp:
[URL=http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1501947&stamp=1210002142]
Old 31st January 2009, 02:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Your link wasn't working.

here it is:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attac...amp=1210002142
Old 31st January 2009, 03:49 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the link mate. I like the meters on the carter 55.
Old 4th February 2009, 04:57 PM   #10
leitmo is offline leitmo  Spain
diyAudio Member

Hi!

my experience was with Studiomaster 400C Solid State Amp so i suppose it will work for tube amp:

both L and R analog vumeters were connected in parallel to - and + speaker output.
I suppose vumeters have big impedance then small signal will pass through them and most part of audio signal will reach speakers.

in this case a vumeter is just an AC voltmeter

Hide this!Advertise here!