PI Question Guitar Amp Related - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th January 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
Trout is offline Trout  United States
diyAudio Member

Default PI Question Guitar Amp Related

I was looking through old schematics the other night and came across an old Guild guitar amp .

I was wondering if anyone could share some insight on the PI in this model.

I am really curious about this one, I have never seen a PI implemented on other amps like this,

Pro's Con's ?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf guild_j100.pdf (84.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 28th January 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Am I missing something? It just looks like a long tailed pair with paralled triodes to me.
Old 28th January 2009, 02:42 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly
Am I missing something? It just looks like a long tailed pair with paralled triodes to me.

Yeah, but why? 1 tube per side, paralled.

Does this drive the 6L6's better/harder?
Old 28th January 2009, 03:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Better drive capability. Double the transconductance, half the plate resistance, and the 12AX7 is about the wimpiest around when it comes to driving. It all comes down to preference, because how the PI reacts when overdriven is a pretty characteristic sound of the amp. Actually, there's been a lot of interesting threads on paralleling triodes over the years, did you search? Some of the old boys who aren't around as much today had a lot to say.
Old 28th January 2009, 04:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leadbelly
Better drive capability. Double the transconductance, half the plate resistance, and the 12AX7 is about the wimpiest around when it comes to driving. It all comes down to preference, because how the PI reacts when overdriven is a pretty characteristic sound of the amp. Actually, there's been a lot of interesting threads on paralleling triodes over the years, did you search? Some of the old boys who aren't around as much today had a lot to say.

I was reading a post on a guitar forum from a guy that recently picked up a Guild (not this model) So I looked up several schematics and noticed this one.

I have checked out hundreds of guitar amp schematics but never encountered one like this.

His comments on the model he has were very positive in regards to overdriven tone.
That was why I posted the question, It looks like it might be interesting to try.

Hide this!Advertise here!