• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Dropping rectifier filament voltage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I am gathering some parts for an experimental tube linestage project. I have searched around for a pwr transformer with 4VCT winding for european direct heated rectifiers, but no luck. However, Hammond have a range of nice trannies with 5VCT tapping. Do any of you know if it would be OK to drop the voltage to 4VCT with resistors considering B+ is to be taken from the CT?

Best

Theo

Theo,

IMO, you will do better by employing 4X Schottky diodes arranged in "yin/yang" pairs at each end of the 5 VAC winding. Instead of resistively dissipating power as waste heat, the forward drop of the diodes achieves your purpose.

Schottky diodes, with their "noiseless" operation, are essential to the tweak. PN junction diodes will introduce switching noise into the B+ rail. :(

Watt's Law never sleeps, Eli.  If we drop Avolts at a draw of Bamps, we shall inevitably burn A×B watts.  Depending on the rectifier draw, there may be problems with a diode of high enough current rating, but otherwise it sounds like a cool idea to me, as long as the heat is taken care of, and if the voltage we need to drop is some multiple of the diode drop.  The voltage will automatically be correct, and we'll simply burn the amount of power needed to do it.  It usually takes me two or three tries to get it just where I want it with resistors.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic

Poinz,

The forward drop in Schottkys is "typically" 1/2 V. 2X "yin/yang" pairs achieve the OP's purpose. Do you really think there will be trouble if diodes rated for a continuous 5 A. forward current are employed? We are dealing with a 50% duty cycle. PIV is not much of a concern in this application. FWIW, 10 and 20 A. diodes are available, should that much "beef" be adviseable.

I very much doubt that there will be a problem with 5A diodes, Eli. The gentleman has not stated what the heater (or filament) draw of his rectifier is, but I do not know of any power amp rectifiers that draw over 3A heater.  You're right that the 50% duty cycle is germane; a 1A diode can typically pass 30A for a few milliseconds.  It's a heat thing, same as always.  With a little more data about that rectifier, we could advise the gentleman rather better.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic

Nightpuma said:
... Hammond have a range of nice trannies with 5VCT tapping....

Hi Theo. You may find the Hammonds run high, it's been my experience 100% of the time. Personally I'ld look at hanging a 5 watt 'white coffin' power resistor off either end of the winding, easily available in a wide range of values under 1 ohm. Bombproof, no danger of added switching noise, a minuscule increase in power supply impedance and a bit of cold filament current limiting; what's not to like for a less than a couple dollars?

Hi

Thank you all for the replies and advice. First of all, to clearify, the rectifier will be AZ1 that draws 1.1A. I have tried out some different rectifiers, and i really prefer direct heated soundwise. It has of course some other drawbacks, but do they sound good:)
Resistors is easy and cheap to apply, so that is a safe choice.
Regarding the ying/yang schottkys, that sounds intersting, but what would the benifit be besides less heat? And what about the B+ of 300+V running through them?

Best

Theo

Nightpuma said:
Regarding the ying/yang schottkys, that sounds intersting, but what would the benifit be besides less heat?

There won't be less heat -- that was Poinz' point. W=VI. The advantage, if there is one, is that diodes drop the same voltage regardless of current draw which might make them easier here -- though it might also make their use more difficult if the drop is not what you need. The disadvantage as per rdf could be switching noise.

Wasn't I casual not to gig you about that?  I am such a nice guy.

But; yes, with rectifiers you got to be careful because some of those bad boyz' heaters can draw some serious current.  At first I wasn't too worried because after all it's a preamp, but then who sez it's a preamp-style rectifier?  Why not make a coolio lineamp PS starting with a 5U4?

You've seen those 300B lineamps, I bet.

Aloha,

Poinz

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.