Tubelab SE input tube filament - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th January 2009, 07:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tubelab SE input tube filament

I took out the input tubes (5842) from my Tubelab SE for maintenance and put them back in. Turned it on and only the right side filament glows. I swapped the tubes but same problem so it's not the tube. Could it be a bad socket? The filament heater voltage comes from one source and splits left and right in this amp but if one side works fine and the other side doesn't, I'm guessing it's the contact problem locally or lack of. Any guesses?
Thanks in advance.
Old 24th January 2009, 09:20 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maybe check for a cold solder joint where the socket is soldered to the board?

Is it the type of socket where you might be able to tighten up the contacts with a dental pick?
Old 25th January 2009, 12:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I haven't thought of dental pick as a standard electronics equipment but now I can see why it may be useful. I used a toothpick (close enough) and now it works. Time to replace with better socket than those cheapo plastic ones (it's deformed little from the heat).

Thanks.
Old 25th January 2009, 01:10 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I used the nine pin "Fender style" sockets from TubeDepot. Ceramic base resists heat, and exposed contacts makes for easy adjustment should the need arise. Plus, they kinda match the style of the octal sockets I used. I've only had the amp running since last summer, but so far the sockets seem to be working just fine.

http://tubedepot.com/sk-9pinpcf.html

Hide this!Advertise here!