• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Rogers Tube Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just pulled an amp from a Rogers floor model Stereo. It's kind of cool but I know very little about tubes. I was wondering what kind of power it has. Sounds like it is running out of steam into 8 ohm load. Not enough resistance or tubes tired? What I think are out puts are 6Gw8 ECL88. Appears to have a pair in output stage. Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Probably about 8W per channel if PP (2 per channel) and somewhat less than half that if SE. (Just 2 output tubes total)

You should plan on replacing the supply filter caps immediately and at least the coupling caps to the output tube grids.

For safety I would recommend installing a 3 wire power cord and securely grounding the chassis. Hopefully there is a fuse on the primary - if there isn't you will need to add one.

I would also recommend reading the safety thread for tips on working on this amplifier safely since you admit to being inexperienced with tubes.

These kind of power levels require efficient speakers. (IMO probably > 96dBspl or so)

These kind of power levels require efficient speakers.

AGREED!! Paul Joppa has provided the community with a useful rule of thumb. Joppa's Rule states, in an "average" listening space, an amp/speaker combo should be capable reaching at least 102 dB. SPL peaks, measured at a 1 M. distance. With 8 WPC available, speakers whose SPL rating is an honest 93 dB. form the lower limit.

What's the esiest way to cut jpeg size?

This is how I do it :

open the picture in an editing program, ie Microsoft Photo Editor, or whatever you may have.
Then either crop it, ie cut off unwanted parts,
or if you need all the picture, reduce the resolution or detail.In Photo editor when you do a save as jpeg there is a button you can click for more options. Do that and slide the picture quality bar to the left to reduce the quality and the file size. I think there is about 10 to 1 reduction in file size from max quality to min quality.

Other picture editors will have different ways of doing this.

Tube amp small

Thanks everyone. I am looking forward to becoming more involved here again. Following a brutal divorce, my brain turned to mush. This stuff all seems so complex now. Anyways here's tube amp/receiver.

Attachments

• tubesmall.jpg
    tubesmall.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 244
Can you identify the 3 tubes - are they ECC807 tubes? If so then this is probably a version of the Cadet amp. These tubes are the preamp part of the integrated amp & the 4 ECL86 tubes are the power amp portion.

The ECC807 tubes alone , if working, are worth something on ebay. The ECL86 tubes are worth holding onto.

I would suggest building/modifying the ECL86 into a Baby Huey design.

The AF tube complement leads me to believe the unit is a mono receiver. If it's stereo, there is no mag. phono preamp section.

While a mono receiver is not of much use, the carcass is not a "boat anchor". I can see the "beast" being converted into a stereo tuner/preamp.

The 6AL5 is set up either as a Foster-Seeley discriminator or a ratio detector. It's easy enough to scrap the OEM deemphasis network and add DIYer extraordinaire Steve Bench's MPX decoder.

BTW, G2E "does not compute". TDSL shows nada. :(

Attachments

• steve bench mpx.gif
    steve bench mpx.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 178
This stuff is so foreign to me. It has am/fm but i would never use that. If I keep it. I'd try to convert it to nice transparent amp for proofing mixes

That definitely opens some possibilities up. Plenty of heater current becomes available, once the tuners get scrapped. You would use triode wired EL84s as the O/P tubes and a 5965 for voltage amplification. A CDP is quite sufficient to drive that combo to full power. While power is limited to approx. 2.5 WPC, the sound is really quite good.

Basically, you salvage the trafos and possibly the sheet metal. Everything else goes.

Did you find SS diodes on the underside? An 6CA4 or 6V4 would make sense, if vacuum rectification of B+ is employed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.