• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Edcor OPT Voltage Rating?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, just wondering if anyone has torture-tested Edcor's line of 25W enclosed SE transformers, or heard from anyone else about their voltage/current rating on the primary.

The representative I emailed said 403V, but I'm pretty sure it's got to be more than that. I just don't see how you could feasibly get 25W out of one of those OPT's at 400V.

I'm looking to use a couple of the 6.5K:8 ones for a GM70 project, with about 900V on the B+, and 100-110mA.

Thanks! :smash:

Edcor is a very flexible company and handles business in an old-school manner. It's best to contact them by phone and discuss your needs vs. what they have on file. I have purchased several standard and custom pieces from Edcor and found them to be very accommodating.

They usually build by order regardless of if your buying standard line-up or custom. They also have several designs on file that are not on their website. Expect a 1-3 week turn around.

There was a recent discussion at the GM70 yahoogroup about output transformers for transmitting tubes. Also the Edcor's passed the revue, and one of the members said he heard from an Edcor technician who said that the 25W units could handle 1500VDC.

talk to them, ask them what it would cost to have them winding you a larger unit. It seems a bit of a waste having a potential 40-50W of power and only being able to use half of that due to core limitations. I know you are probably doing this more to show it can be done, and not really care about the output power being limited, but I thought I would say it anyway.

I just heard back from Edcor about one specific CXSE (the 25 watt SE OPT's), which is rated for 1KV. I suppose that at lower impedances (this one is 8K:8), lower voltage/higher currents would be needed to get a specific wattage, but this bodes well for my project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.