• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6C33C-B. PP or SE ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks.
Bellow is my diagram.
The RC values with * need to be chosen by experiment for best stability with pure C load and for high frequency bandwith = 65khz with pure R load.
Output transformer should be 1kohms a-a:4-8-16 ohms for 60W into AB and 2kohms a-a:4-8-16 ohms for 40W mainly class A.

It also will be possible 6CG7 or 6dj8 for input stage follow by EL84 and 6C33.
This design will be tempted to do.I also have a schetch.

Attachments

• 6C33C.jpg
    6C33C.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 892
Midlife,

Nice to hear, if I remember correctly, you must also have an Input Transformers to SC-SCC to ensure you to get the lowest Hz. But ask them about it.

Anders

Anders like you I will be a bit of an exception on this forum, I have chosen to leave the safe path of tried designs. I am going to build Ari's Duplex the Parallel Single Ended version with the SC-SCC OPT and input transformers to allow the amp to reach a -3dB frequency range of 5 Hz - 35 kHz.

I look forward to sourcing the parts and building the amp, the description of its characteristics made me want to build it.

It is like I wrote Ari, a lot of designs for amplifiers with these tube circulate on the internet, but who can judge their musical quality before having built them? Ari may use some unusual solutions in Duplex and is very assured of its musical qualities, to find out if he is right you can either dismiss the idea or build his design, I chose the latter.

Only time will tell if it was a wise choice, but I trust Ari's judgement.:)

Hi Jase,

Since I just made the decision for myself to build the amplifier as designed by Ari Polisois, I am not in a position to give you advice about which schematic is good or better. I do know that at the beginning of this thread some schematics and links to schematics were posted. Some of them were quite basic and probably just what you are looking for.

Thanks for the info, i'm pretty much looking simple, as its my first real big tube amp. So simple straight forward is what im looking for. :)

Last edited:
Anders like you I will be a bit of an exception on this forum, I have chosen to leave the safe path of tried designs. I am going to build Ari's Duplex the Parallel Single Ended version with the SC-SCC OPT and input transformers to allow the amp to reach a -3dB frequency range of 5 Hz - 35 kHz.

I look forward to sourcing the parts and building the amp, the description of its characteristics made me want to build it.

It is like I wrote Ari, a lot of designs for amplifiers with these tube circulate on the internet, but who can judge their musical quality before having built them? Ari may use some unusual solutions in Duplex and is very assured of its musical qualities, to find out if he is right you can either dismiss the idea or build his design, I chose the latter.

Only time will tell if it was a wise choice, but I trust Ari's judgement.:)

Hi Midlife,

I have been busy renovating and updating a turntable to a friend so I had no time to respond.

It feels good that it is not just me who has an amplifier by Ari here on the forum even if others think that the design is wrong I expect that it will be more common in the future.

I am a little curious about is how your amplifier should look like.

Mine will be large after the re-build 62x40x12cm yes it is large but the OPT occupying the most of the space, the weight is somewhere between 35-40 kg. Before I had it split into two boxes, but unfortunately it was not as good as I wanted, moving around the amp should not be a problem I'm still young (48) and I can lift it into place without any help :D.

Now I will continue to produce parts for my amp so I can continue the build of the amp when the top plate has come home to me.

Anders

Hi Midlife,

I am a little curious about is how your amplifier should look like.

Mine will be large after the re-build 62x40x12cm yes it is large but the OPT occupying the most of the space, the weight is somewhere between 35-40 kg. Before I had it split into two boxes, but unfortunately it was not as good as I wanted, moving around the amp should not be a problem I'm still young (48) and I can lift it into place without any help :D.

Now I will continue to produce parts for my amp so I can continue the build of the amp when the top plate has come home to me.

Anders

Hej Anders,

Like your amp I guess it will be big. Since mine uses 2 pc 6C33C per channel and ideally these tubes should be 45 - 50 mm apart because of heat issues, some of the layout will be predestined, but not all:D

The first amp I built was praised for its looks so I will have to think out something nice again. It should sound good but also look good.

On the one hand I like a nice flat enclosure with everything on top, on the other hand if I make the enclosure higher I can put stuff inside. But since I have to wait for the transformers to be wound and I do not know how big everything turns out, I will have to wait.

Maybe I will do what Sakuma San does with his amplifiers

"I want to mount the parts soon but this big chassis, 65cm wide and 35cm deep, absorbs all the power from my body and heart.

For five days I have worked and listened to music, watching the chassis in repose on a round table. I keep the chassis like a wine. This is the most important technique of my craft.

After many hours of listening to music together, the chassis seems to recognize "who I am." It turns from mere sheet metal into the chassis for my amplifiers. I can then imagine the perfectly built amplifier. This moment is the end of my design, my planning, and yesterday's me."

Sakuma San is a man I admire for his craft and his amplifiers, I have never heard one of his amplifiers, which is a pity. He claims that if you have heard one, you never ask why he builds mono amplifiers.

His site is certainly worth a visit:Direct Heating

Hej Anders,

Like your amp I guess it will be big. Since mine uses 2 pc 6C33C per channel and ideally these tubes should be 45 - 50 mm apart because of heat issues, some of the layout will be predestined, but not all:D

The first amp I built was praised for its looks so I will have to think out something nice again. It should sound good but also look good.

On the one hand I like a nice flat enclosure with everything on top, on the other hand if I make the enclosure higher I can put stuff inside. But since I have to wait for the transformers to be wound and I do not know how big everything turns out, I will have to wait.

Maybe I will do what Sakuma San does with his amplifiers

"I want to mount the parts soon but this big chassis, 65cm wide and 35cm deep, absorbs all the power from my body and heart.

For five days I have worked and listened to music, watching the chassis in repose on a round table. I keep the chassis like a wine. This is the most important technique of my craft.

After many hours of listening to music together, the chassis seems to recognize "who I am." It turns from mere sheet metal into the chassis for my amplifiers. I can then imagine the perfectly built amplifier. This moment is the end of my design, my planning, and yesterday's me."

Sakuma San is a man I admire for his craft and his amplifiers, I have never heard one of his amplifiers, which is a pity. He claims that if you have heard one, you never ask why he builds mono amplifiers.

His site is certainly worth a visit:Direct Heating

Hi Midlife,

I visit Sakuma San site from time to time very interesting and reminds me little of how I am, how important each part is never be careless the result is everything.

Like you I have never heard any of his amps either, but it would be very interesting it might be to build an amplifier from one of his circuit schmatics to hear how it sounds his amplifiers is not so common here.

With regard to the chassis I build most of it from oak wood partly because I had it lying in the my storeroom and oak looks beautiful but when the chassis is so big I am thinking about to carve images into the sides to make it a bit more interesting an just plain. Maybe I will using motifs from the Viking mythology, but it's just a thought. Top plate is made of stainless then it will polished and then blasted in some text on the surface.

Well I'm starting to get tired and my bed are calling.

Anders

Cooling 6c33c tubes

I have been fooling around with making things with IKEA stuff, and also have a few 6c33c tubes waiting in line. I found an interesting method of keeping the tubes well ventilated;
Ikea´s Nässö candle holders are spherical, and fit a septar socket well once you have taken out the cups that hold the candles. By mounting these spheres with the 6c33c tubes outside the cabinet temperatures are kept under control and you get a really cool cabinet inspired by this: Electronluv

Here is my blog with a description: TAO of Tubes: Using IKEA Näsjö candle sticks for housing a 6c336 tube

SNC13612.JPG

I have been fooling around with making things with IKEA stuff, and also have a few 6c33c tubes waiting in line. I found an interesting method of keeping the tubes well ventilated;
Ikea´s Nässö candle holders are spherical, and fit a septar socket well once you have taken out the cups that hold the candles. By mounting these spheres with the 6c33c tubes outside the cabinet temperatures are kept under control and you get a really cool cabinet inspired by this: Electronluv

Here is my blog with a description: TAO of Tubes: Using IKEA Näsjö candle sticks for housing a 6c336 tube

SNC13612.JPG

THAT is amazing, so neat, I assume after reading some things about the 6c33's that they get hot ?

About 5-60W anode dissipation.
3 or 6 amp filament depending on whether you use 6 or 12 V = another 36W

If I have my numbers right.

is that in se or ? I'm planning 2 mono blocks, so still researching parts & schematic, i'm on a budget.

I personally have no clue what opt's to buy or the power transformer.

That is one tube running both filaments.

I have a 16 amp 12 v transformer from a battery charger I am thinking of using for heaters, if the hum is not to bad.

But basically I´m in the same situation. Looking for components, and a suitable schematic. Right now this one is my favorite: http://www.dmitrynizh.com/ecc99-6c33c-se.htm He is using One-Electron UBT-1.

In the meantime I am building a chassis and gathering tubes and hardware.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.