Wikipedia article: Tube sound - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th July 2009, 10:39 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Default Re: No advertising

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolas Ojala

Nope. Read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped..._not_a_soapbox

Here is a recent example: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?...ldid=304021540
So, advertisement of "tube modelers" is out of rules.
Old 27th July 2009, 11:07 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Burden of evidence

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn

Now it offers both opinions, however a distortion-concentrated opinion still prevails, that's why I cited myself on top:
There are plenty of rules in Wikipedia and here is one of them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ginal_research

When ever you find a suspicious and unsourced claim in a Wiki article, you may demand sources. Add a tag and that's enough for a while:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Fact
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...d_weasel_words
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Please_clarify
Old 28th July 2009, 03:55 PM   #23
pointy is offline pointy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

valve sound is the absence of 7th and 13th from the THD
with some warmth added for good measure
-------so there is no need for any aspirin------
Old 28th July 2009, 06:59 PM   #24
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Re: Burden of evidence

Quote:
As I said, the article is biased, it clearly stated that people who prefer tube amps prefer them because they add distortions. [/B]
The trouble is that there are a lot of lazy engineers who have learned that musicians like valves for the distortion they produce when overdriven, so they assume that Hi-Fi people like them for the same reason. Trying to tell such people that valves are linear is just bashing your head against a wall. Been there, done that.
Old 28th July 2009, 07:21 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Burden of evidence

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010

The trouble is that there are a lot of lazy engineers who have learned that musicians like valves for the distortion they produce when overdriven, so they assume that Hi-Fi people like them for the same reason. Trying to tell such people that valves are linear is just bashing your head against a wall. Been there, done that.
Yesterday in SS forum RocketScientist advertised LM4562 as the best solution for audio, and tried to make a fun of me telling that he respect people who love tubes because they add euphonic distortions, but he himself prefers a clean sound that's why he does not try tubes, but he knows that they are not clean.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...83#post1889883
Old 29th July 2009, 06:55 PM   #26
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

"Ketchup on a $40 steak..." I don't think you're going to find common ground with him. Personally, I'd be delighted to find a transistor amplifier that has that cleanliness in the midrange and lower treble that a valve has. It would save me a lot of money on valves and electricity.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:21 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Would be worth another edit to tweak the Harmonic Content and Distortion section where it is stated that push pull apmplifiers produce no second harmonic distortion. Certainly a characteristic of the output stage is that it cancels second harmonic distortion being produced there, however no output stage can remove second harmonics produced earlier in the circuit in either gain stages or phase splitters.

I'm not versed with wiki editing so I'll leave it to those of you dablling in this one if you choose fit to do so.
Old 29th July 2009, 09:37 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrewP
Would be worth another edit to tweak the Harmonic Content and Distortion section where it is stated that push pull apmplifiers produce no second harmonic distortion. Certainly a characteristic of the output stage is that it cancels second harmonic distortion being produced there, however no output stage can remove second harmonics produced earlier in the circuit in either gain stages or phase splitters.

I'm not versed with wiki editing so I'll leave it to those of you dablling in this one if you choose fit to do so.
I can do that, but I'm afraid I will be asked again to provide references to support my point of view. Like, "Give me a reference to prove that a water feels wet!"
Old 29th July 2009, 10:26 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Exclamation The deletionists are out there

Quote:

I can do that, but I'm afraid I will be asked again to provide references to support my point of view. Like, "Give me a reference to prove that a water feels wet!"

Look, I am not one of the deletionists of Wikipedia, but I friendly warned you that they exist.
Old 29th July 2009, 10:36 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Re: The deletionists are out there

Quote:
Originally posted by Nikolas Ojala

Look, I am not one of the deletionists of Wikipedia, but I friendly warned you that they exist.
And I friendly agreed to delete the whole article.

Hide this!Advertise here!