• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Installed 12" Speaker in Pro Jr---Now What??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Installed 12" Speaker in Pro Jr---Now What??

A friend has asked me to make his '94 Pro Jr (Tweed version) gig worthy. I checked the tubes, replacing a microphonic 12ax7. I installed a Vox Neo-Dog (same as Celestion Century Vintage), and a larger OT to match this 16 ohm speaker. This is the only speaker which had a small enough magnet to fit, and I still had to trim the heatsink to manage it.

When I play it, it doesn't seem to have much headroom or snap. I don't have another EL84-based amp to compare it to, but compared to a Deluxe Reverb or my Rivera 30-112 (running on 6V6's as well) there is nowhere near the clean output.

The tubes are running stock fixed bias, which I think is about 14 watts per EL84----should this be adjusted?

The circuit looks like it has quite a bit of its gain dumped between stages, presumably to increase distortion (ala Soldano). Should this be revised?

The power tranny is also quite puny--is it just too much to ask of a Pro Jr?

If you could shoehorn in a Blackface Deluxe PT & OT in there, then tweak the fixed bias circuit you could most likely get her pumping out about 22W with a pair of JJ 6V6's instead of the EL84's.

Pretty extensive mods though.

Might be easier to just upgrade to a bigger amp.

Pro Jr Upgrades

I already installed the OT from a Mesa 50W amp, so it should be adequate iron. I think a DR power trans could be prohibitive unless you have a used one fairly cheap---I see you are in Geneva/Elburn, and I'm in Geneva! Email me if you have something lying around (I 'm too new to this forum to have outgoing emails).

Matthew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.