• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Amps left outdoors 24/7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was browsing on another tube forum, there was a thread discussing ss chip amps and that they are not so bad after all etc.
And I thought of the chip amp I made a few years ago, and water proofed, and still keep outside 24 hours a day 7 days a week during summer months for listening to while on the deck and am very pleased with. And I thought well that is something you just cant do with tubes, and these little solid state things have their place in life after all.

But then I thought why not tube amps outdoors 24/7 ? Certainly tube amps are used at outdoor events, although brought back inside at the end of the concert. And surely there is some mil spec grade stuff out there totally weather proofed.

Does any one have any experience with building or using tube amps sufficiently weather resistant to be left out side full time ?

I have my AES 11BM8 push pull amp permanently mounted under the eaves over our deck, driving a pair of Yamaha outdoor speakers.

It's been out there over a year and still works fine. I drive it with either a SAT radio, or an AM/FM radio. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow if I think of it.

Win W5JAG

Sorry for the poor quality pic - my PDA phone sucks as a camera.

These things are not very fragile. I just screwed it right to the siding on the house. It's convenient to have an amp out there whenever I need it.

Win W5JAG

Attachments

• imag0083.jpg
    imag0083.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 217
BTW, I also keep a TV set out on the deck - I just put a big heavy trash sack over the set and stand to keep the rain out when it is not in use.

For a long time, it was a vacuum tube set, but I moved that one into my ham shack. Enjoy your deck and tubes - what good are they otherwise?

Win W5JAG

hey-Hey!!!,
Let's see...you'd want to avoid contact corrosion, and other damages from water incursion. My Can-Am dirt bike had directions in its manual to pack up the connectors with grease. Then there's heat, but not so much of an issue if we can deal with water exposure. Pack the whole amp in a bucket of oil( keep the water out ), and you've got thermal and weather exposure done in the same stroke...heh-heh-heh...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.