• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

preamp for a JE LABS 2A3DX amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After building my JE LABS Stereo SE2A3dx amp (see http://members.myactv.net/~je2a3/se300b.htm)
I am toying with the idea of building a preamp in order to improve the sound (if it is possible, I’m very happy with). I have seen a lot of schematics (too many) and I need advice to know which will match better with my amp. My source is an ARCAM CD73 CD player.
Possible preamps::confused:

Salas’ 6V6 preamp

Hendram’s E182CC preamp (seems easy)

SY’s ECC88 Heretical preamp

TNT Preamble N 7586 preamp

Triode Dick Cleo 6 6N30P preamp

Libero’s 6H30 preamp

Pete Millet Low-mu preamp

Moebius 6AQ5 preamp

Andy Evans 10Y preamp

Poindexter 6T4 preamp

12b4A preamp (there are a lot)
Gavin
ArnoldC
Eliduttman
JDev
Guldbrandsen

Please, your advice

Hola lquintas,

From my experience driving amps with 6SN7 inputs, you should look at a DHT-based preamp - i.e. 26, 10Y, etc.

If you want to avoid the hassle of dealing with hum and microphonics, the go straight to the 27 tube. Here's a simple one:

27 IDHT Parafeed Preamplifier
http://nullspace.us/27.html

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I've personally used an Emotive Audio Erato with a 6SN7/45 Jeff Korneff amp and found the combination stunning.

Saludos y buena fortuna en el 2009,

--josé k.

I am toying with the idea of building a preamp in order to improve the sound (if it is possible, I’m very happy with). I have seen a lot of schematics (too many) and I need advice to know which will match better with my amp. My source is an ARCAM CD73 CD player.

Senor,

The JE Labs schematic you linked shows a 3 stage integrated stereoblock amp. I suggest that you look at something other than a preamp to improve overall system performance.

What sort of volume attenuators are you using?

ARCAM CDPs have solid reputations, but you may be able to improve things in the analog buffer amp area. The DECWARE DIY ZKIT4 has the sort of small footprint needed for inside OEM enclosure CDP modifications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.