• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Operating Temperature of KT88?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
If you examine the spec sheet carefully, you'll find specs for the heater and typical operating modes. Depending on how old your spec sheet, filament current could be 1.8amps or 1.6amps... at 6.3VAC, so you have ~11 watts of heater dissipation right away. You've not given a single detail on your amplifier so it's almost impossible to give you any meaningful input. Is it a SE class-A or push-pull, if push-pull is it cathode bias of fixed bias.. and in either case, what is idle current? Looking at an very old example, the Dyna MK-III ran 140ma of current thru a pair of KT88 tubes... pretty much max operating spec and they ran really hot but that was common back in the 50's and 60's. At max ratings you can dissipate over 50 watts between the heater and plate per tube... and that's with "real" KT-88 tubes, not the new bottles they label as such. Again, without knowing a single detail of your amplifier any input would be pure speculation. As Sy pointed out, ventilation is key here... how about some pics of the amp to see how well the ventilation is managed?

Regards, KM

Thanks a lot mate.

My amp is a pretty cheap Yaqin 100b...bought from the ebay.

I am loving the sound now. Much better than I thought.

It push and pull Class AB.

I think the idle current should not be small. The tube getting pretty hot even with no INPUT and minimum volume.

The circuit diagram is in one of the post in this forum.

Chinese KT88 tube, I dunt know how good they are. Some say the tubes have no filament?...is this possible?

Never mind, i feel better to turn up the volume now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.