How does one "breadboard" an amp? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2003, 11:20 PM   #11
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Re: Breadboards

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryder
Here is a shot of John Sheerwood's set up.
Love the framework, or is it the heater wiring? I'm not sure I would call it a breadboard, though. The awfulness of lash-ups seems to be in direct proportion to the fastidiousness of final construction...

So, to answer the original question, "Carefully." Lash-ups are where smoke is almost expected, so they are made (thrown together) in a way so that flames from one component don't damage another. Lots of space between components.
Old 12th April 2003, 12:33 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Saurav,

No pix of my monstrosities unfortunately, but breadboarding involves, lots of space on a big plank of wood and clipleads and/or tack soldered wires. The rest is really up to you. My entire coffee table in the living room is my 813PP amp at the moment, with all the power transformers sitting on another plank on the floor behind it (no kids, smart dog), wires running all over the place as I've tried different configurations. As I was building it, I was already beginning to think how it would all go together in the end, and tried to keep it a bit similar, with it being like the amps Ryder linked, but two levels of PSU, enclosed.

The main differeece with mine is my tube sockets are on 2x2 or 3x3 pieces fo MDF, stood above the board by 1.25" nylon standoffs. That way I can easily solder to the pins directly or screw a tagstrip to the board and join a lot of wires and move the socket positions around easily. This helps and is worth the effort if you build a lot of amps.

The other method, and one I used when I 'cloned ' a classic design is to draw the dimension of the final chassis on the breadboard, and carefully test layout all the parts (pencil and paper helps too) to see how it all fitted together. I didn't like the look of the original, and the spare powertrans I was using was a LOT larger, so I didn't just copy the factory plan. Clipleaded it together, fired it up, adjusted tx positions slightly to limit tube heat and hum. Then once the final top plate was drilled,it took a couple of hours to finish.
Old 12th April 2003, 02:53 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

here's my breadboard darling amp.

http://diyparadise.com/rebuiltdarling.jpg

octal relay socket base fits octal tubes perfectly. no need for soldering!

changing caps is just some screws!

DonJuan
Old 12th April 2003, 06:35 AM   #14
elan120 is offline elan120  United States
diyAudio Member

Another idea...

Kevin

http://home.attbi.com/~kysung/Cropped_Completed-3.jpg
Old 12th April 2003, 06:35 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default Smart dogs?

Quote:
My entire coffee table in the living room is my 813PP amp at the moment, with all the power transformers sitting on another plank on the floor behind it (no kids, smart dog)
Hehehe, Brett , more or less the same situation with my 813s,
the amps are all over the place , the dog never go near it

Those dogs must be smarter than we think

Cheers
Old 12th April 2003, 06:44 AM   #16
elan120 is offline elan120  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Possible solution

Here is another idea.....

Kevin

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th April 2003, 09:27 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Smart dogs?

Quote:
Originally posted by slowmotion

Hehehe, Brett , more or less the same situation with my 813s,
the amps are all over the place , the dog never go near it

Those dogs must be smarter than we think

Cheers
He's smart, but he's also learnt survival skills living with me for seven years, such as a turbo rotary belches (BIG) flames sometimes, so don't lie behind it.

I decided to have some fun today with the 813PP's, and switch in the different biassing and first cap in the PSU (now CLCLC instead of LCLC) so they're running 900V/110mA instead of 530V/80mA. The 4 of them all lit up like that seem to have a physical presence, almost like a forcefield around them. He stayed even futher back than usual after they were modified.
I also have some GM70's coming to try in it.
Old 12th April 2003, 09:52 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default 813

Quote:
so they're running 900V/110mA instead of 530V/80mA
Hi Brett

Big change in operating point, there.
Notice any difference in sound?

Cheers
Old 12th April 2003, 04:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the advice, and especially the pictures.
Old 12th April 2003, 06:18 PM   #20
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Re: Breadboards

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryder
They do not have to be so rough.
Here is a shot of John Sheerwood's set up.
Lets him make changes and presentable too. The tubing comes apart easily.

There are a few more pictures at his site. Nice for something that is close but you may want to change and are not ready to commit to a chassis yet.
Cheers
Craig Ryder

Craig, every once in a while a real gem comes up, yours is one the most original and neat realizations bar none! It makes me want to get into tubes. What project is it?

On the other hand elan120 has taken the breadboard concept to a very dangerous extreme, I wouldn't recommend that unless you want to die young. Alligator clips do snap off and with 500VDC going around you may have a 'situation' on your hands.

Hide this!Advertise here!