• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

blind test tube preamp free for all

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
each channel tube is parareled..
each channel tube is parareled

Attachments

• e182cc-linestage-map.gif
    e182cc-linestage-map.gif
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,261
Yes, the 7119 is one of my favorite tubes. Do try the 7044 also as they sound great too. I can't help but notice that what appears to be the simplest circuit won you shootout. That is no surprise to me.

Now I have to ask: did you listen to the preamp without the paralleled triodes i.e, just one half of the 7119?

Why not just add the E182CC and volume control onto the amp chassis and do away with one set of interconnects and two connections? I bet this would be the best sounding, most transparent solution.

My congratulations as well! I saw that there was also a pre-amp which contained almost 2 dozen tubes...that one surely did cost a lot more money and time to build, still yours was best!

Just one note: on your schematics the two diodes are drawn wrong. Maybe a moderator can add a comment so that anybody willing to copy the schematic won't end up with an non-working PSU.

Erik

Congratulations hendram!

Super cool! It must have been very exhausting sitting concentrated for this kind of listening all day long ;)

When the shoot-out was over there must have been a lot of comments about the different amps. Is it possible for you to inform us about some of the things the judges were saying about your amp. Don´t be shy - you really deserve this honour!

Kind regards

Karsten

I want to build a simple preamp out of parts i already have. and this may have given me the inspiration.

looking at the datasheet i think.... and please correct me if i am wrong... but could i drop in a 6n6p as almost a direct replacement (I would want to run it slightly hotter, maybe 20ma.

maybe a b+ of 220 and only 120 on the plate?

adamus said:
looking at the datasheet i think.... and please correct me if i am wrong... but could i drop in a 6n6p as almost a direct replacement (I would want to run it slightly hotter, maybe 20ma.

I see no reason why not. You may also wish to experiment by replacing the cathode resistor with an LED. Output cap is probably on the low side for a solid state power amp.

Any changes to the published circuit or components will certainly change the sonics and not necessarily for the better.

sorry, i forgot :)
the cathode capacitor is black gate n series..

i've never try non parareled tube for each channel.
i parareled the tube to have a very low impedance, any comment 'bout the difference between parareled and non parareled ?

songs for the final blind test are :
1. what a different a day makes - ingram washington
2. black magic woman - patricia barber

Thanks...
Regards,

hendra

adamus said:
I want to build a simple preamp out of parts i already have. and this may have given me the inspiration.

can someone correct me if i am wrong? i think 6n6p does not have the same pin out as e182cc/7119. anyone?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.