vt25 in pre amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2009, 11:57 AM   #1
hooman is offline hooman  Iran
diyAudio Member

Default vt25 in pre amp

I have vt25 and vt25a also 10y with different brand in my tubes box .i know this tubes have nice sound and balance in all of mid and high and low.
I tray to build tube circuits and test result sound by my self . I receive to vt25 in pre amps circuit. is it possible with this power triode direct filament to build good pre amps?
Old 12th January 2009, 08:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You can see one nice project with 10y in this link .
http://www.vt52.com/diy/myprojects/a...ly/firefly.htm

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th January 2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

YES! But You'd better use a transformer to lower the output impedance. Filament heating can be tricky: you need DC and please do use a current source or a LCLCL filter.

Ciao
Gianluca
Old 13th January 2009, 01:12 PM   #4
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hooman
You can see one nice project with 10y in this link .
http://www.vt52.com/diy/myprojects/a...ly/firefly.htm

This is not a great circuit.

If you don't increase a lot that coupling capacitor you will have the resonance at approx. 23 Hz with a bad Q factor (poor damping)!!
Very probably you will get a floppy bass.....unless you use very small monitors.

To make it work decently you should go down to 10 Hz with a good damping, at least.
3.3uF looks much better....

Also, DC filament supply is recommendable....

Cheers,
Old 13th January 2009, 02:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

This is not my idea and Jim cort has made and test this project . but tanks for your advise.
Jim cort :
I use a higher voltage on the 10Y but it biases just like I wanted... 350V/16mA... The 10Y/801A will take chokes from 150H or up to give a -1dB of a 20Hz.
and:The filament supply is done by my two battery towers which also house 12V batteries for the 26 filament. I can use these to get the 7.5V for the 10Y, no problem, only have to adjust the current regulator resistor to get the right current.so filimant ...
Old 13th January 2009, 03:55 PM   #6
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gluca
YES! But You'd better use a transformer to lower the output impedance.
Only true if trying to drive a low impedance input. The output impedance will be around 5k for this operating point. That's fine if the driven amp has an input impedance of at least 50K. Most tube amps are that or higher.

Quote:
Originally posted by 45
This is not a great circuit.

If you don't increase a lot that coupling capacitor you will have the resonance at approx. 23 Hz with a bad Q factor (poor damping)!!
Very probably you will get a floppy bass.....unless you use very small monitors.

To make it work decently you should go down to 10 Hz with a good damping, at least.
3.3uF looks much better....
There's nothing inherently wrong with the circuit. It's a basic parafeed amp. I don't think that damping factor is important here. The amp is driving a low, non reactive load. Just measure the response with the expected load and change the cap value if there is any peaking. Easy enough to do. Here's some related info: http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSe...afeed_fun.html

Agree on the DC filament supply. You might want to try starving the filaments a bit. There is a fairly narrow range where the distortion is minimized (just below 6V for my 801 amps). Additional reading: http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench102/dht.html
http://greygum.net/sbench/sbench/heater.html

Sheldon
Old 13th January 2009, 06:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 45

This is not a great circuit
I do not see the parafeed circuit here. It looks like a simple choke loaded cap coupled to a grid resistor. Where is the resonance coming from?

dave
Old 13th January 2009, 07:40 PM   #8
Sheldon is offline Sheldon  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave slagle
I do not see the parafeed circuit here. It looks like a simple choke loaded cap coupled to a grid resistor. Where is the resonance coming from?
Yes, my bad for misusing the term. Can't really be parafeed in the usual sense if there is no transformer on the output. And without the transformer inductance in parallel with the cap, no resonance either, I guess. In the circuit shown, the inductor has a low Z path to common, but the cap does not, so they are not effectively parallel.

Sheldon
Old 13th January 2009, 08:45 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks to for replay on my topic and I think the 10y will work prefect by transformer in matching and lode in out pot stage .but I donít have this transformer in my box .so I should try by capacitor and specially focused on low frequency to find resonance or not !
I have 100 of vt25a they have made for western electric by hitron .these kind of tubes need to supply filament by battery for the best result in clear sound. as I told I have another kind of vt25 from uk by teonex in rebranded .the teonex vt25 is work by ac filament and I found it better in rejection the noise . I checked these two kind of tube in out put circuit in single ended before .
Old 13th January 2009, 08:59 PM   #10
45 is offline 45  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheldon

Only true if trying to drive a low impedance input. The output impedance will be around 5k for this operating point. That's fine if the driven amp has an input impedance of at least 50K. Most tube amps are that or higher.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the circuit. It's a basic parafeed amp. I don't think that damping factor is important here. The amp is driving a low, non reactive load. Just measure the response with the expected load and change the cap value if there is any peaking. Easy enough to do. Here's some related info: http://www.siteswithstyle.com/VoltSe...afeed_fun.html

Sheldon
Yes it is for me. Given that load, the frequency response is ok but not the phase and above all the sound!
The inductance and the capacitor are in parallel for the signal.

Cheers,

Hide this!Advertise here!