• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

1st build done.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, at least for the most part. Needs a few tweaks and such here and there and a few unused wires to tie down, but it seems to play music, at least for a whole CD, without bursting into flames since I put it in a metal chassis. I've got a pop at power-off I need to deal with though.

One question: I don't have the (-) terminal of the speaker jacks grounded, just floating. I've heard and seen it done both ways on amps with no feedback, but if I do would I run a seperate wire to the star ground, or tie them seperately (or together) on the chassis near the jacks?

A big thank you to Tom McNally and Norris W. for all their help in answering dumb questions along the way.

FWIW it's a Darling with a 5V4G rectifier. I had to use a bucking trafo to get the B+ down into a reasonable range with my high mains voltage and the parts I had on hand. I went with the junkyard industrial look I guess. Tried to keep it simple.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Just the standard Hammond 10x17x3 aluminum. I sanded it with 220 grit sandpaper in 4 different directions then sprayed a couple of coats of art fixative on it.

It's OK for a first build, but I don't think I'll use one again. They are quite thin. This amp only wieghs about 20lbs, so it's not really a problem, but anything heavier and it would be I think.

Nice! In my last build I left it floating. For the pop at turn on/off I believe people put a .1uf cap across the switch. The black steel chassis from Hammond are nice and will stand up to 100 lbs of Iron without flexing or bending. (At least so far :) )

athos56 said:
Nice! In my last build I left it floating. For the pop at turn on/off I believe people put a .1uf cap across the switch.

I'm using a DPST switch, switching the hot and neutral. Tried putting a 0.01uF/1000V disc cap across the hot terminals on the switch, but didn't like the fact that if the switch was off I was getting 123V from the amp side of the switch to ground. Put back in a replacement switch of the same type and measured virtually nothing.

I think I'll just shut off the amp while the music is playing and call it good.

Nice build you did. How does she sound..? It should sound wonderfull to say the least as I know what they can do. I am running the 1626's 220v @ 23ma w/ 5k 8ohm ancient OT's,I think, I would have to check notes on the op- point. What is your op-points..?
J & G

JandG said:
Nice build you did. How does she sound..? It should sound wonderfull to say the least as I know what they can do. I am running the 1626's 220v @ 23ma w/ 5k 8ohm ancient OT's,I think, I would have to check notes on the op- point. What is your op-points..?
J & G

Thanks.

Take a look at my website for the schematic, etc with OP points on it. Just click on the little pics to see big ones.

http://pedalforroses.homestead.com/PowerAmps.html

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.