1st build done. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2009, 04:48 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 1st build done.

Well, at least for the most part. Needs a few tweaks and such here and there and a few unused wires to tie down, but it seems to play music, at least for a whole CD, without bursting into flames since I put it in a metal chassis. I've got a pop at power-off I need to deal with though.

One question: I don't have the (-) terminal of the speaker jacks grounded, just floating. I've heard and seen it done both ways on amps with no feedback, but if I do would I run a seperate wire to the star ground, or tie them seperately (or together) on the chassis near the jacks?

A big thank you to Tom McNally and Norris W. for all their help in answering dumb questions along the way.

FWIW it's a Darling with a 5V4G rectifier. I had to use a bucking trafo to get the B+ down into a reasonable range with my high mains voltage and the parts I had on hand. I went with the junkyard industrial look I guess. Tried to keep it simple.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11th January 2009, 04:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

That's a cool chassis - where'd ya get it?
Old 11th January 2009, 05:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Just the standard Hammond 10x17x3 aluminum. I sanded it with 220 grit sandpaper in 4 different directions then sprayed a couple of coats of art fixative on it.

It's OK for a first build, but I don't think I'll use one again. They are quite thin. This amp only wieghs about 20lbs, so it's not really a problem, but anything heavier and it would be I think.
Old 11th January 2009, 05:55 AM   #4
athos56 is offline athos56  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice! In my last build I left it floating. For the pop at turn on/off I believe people put a .1uf cap across the switch. The black steel chassis from Hammond are nice and will stand up to 100 lbs of Iron without flexing or bending. (At least so far )
Old 11th January 2009, 06:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

For a few more pics you can goto my website. The schematic is also there as well. Just click on the thumbnails to see bigger pics.

Tubepage
Old 12th January 2009, 07:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by athos56
Nice! In my last build I left it floating. For the pop at turn on/off I believe people put a .1uf cap across the switch.

I'm using a DPST switch, switching the hot and neutral. Tried putting a 0.01uF/1000V disc cap across the hot terminals on the switch, but didn't like the fact that if the switch was off I was getting 123V from the amp side of the switch to ground. Put back in a replacement switch of the same type and measured virtually nothing.

I think I'll just shut off the amp while the music is playing and call it good.
Old 12th January 2009, 11:26 PM   #7
JandG is offline JandG  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice build you did. How does she sound..? It should sound wonderfull to say the least as I know what they can do. I am running the 1626's 220v @ 23ma w/ 5k 8ohm ancient OT's,I think, I would have to check notes on the op- point. What is your op-points..?
J & G
Old 12th January 2009, 11:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JandG
Nice build you did. How does she sound..? It should sound wonderfull to say the least as I know what they can do. I am running the 1626's 220v @ 23ma w/ 5k 8ohm ancient OT's,I think, I would have to check notes on the op- point. What is your op-points..?
J & G

Thanks.

Take a look at my website for the schematic, etc with OP points on it. Just click on the little pics to see big ones.

http://pedalforroses.homestead.com/PowerAmps.html
Old 14th January 2009, 02:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Schematic updated on website. I switched from the DPST to a SPST for the hot leg instead of switching both hot and neutral.

http://pedalforroses.homestead.com/D..._w_12V_FTf.GIF

Hide this!Advertise here!