Tube socket does not fit tube - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Different standard of tube sockets

Quote:
Originally posted by refference
Hi Wryan ,
In fact , there was a british standard called MAZDA OCTAL , and the AMERICAN OCTAL STANDARD .

At first sight , they look very similar , but there is a little difference between the spigots diameter and between pin spacings . Itís very easy to be confused looking at one and another .
The ordinary octal spigots do fit into a Mazda Octal base though, it's the pin spacing that is different.
Old 11th January 2009, 09:16 PM   #12
Merlinb is offline Merlinb  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek

As explained to me, this is caused by all modern manufacturing equipment being in metric. Old tubes being is US Imperial measurements (as opposed to UK Imperial measurements, which most Asian reference and table books are derived from).
Ah, so it's the American tubes that are the wrong fit.
Old 11th January 2009, 09:39 PM   #13
coresta is offline coresta  France
diyAudio Member

mmh, yes When i drive in my RHD Jaguar, it seems to me that continental LHD is heretic
Old 18th January 2009, 11:26 PM   #14
WRyan is offline WRyan  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks again for all the help from everyone!

Just an update for closure:

I had a few more of these very same sockets on order. I recently received the latest shipment and tried them with the same tubes Iíve been using.

The latest sockets fit the tubes just fine! The offending socket still does not fit the tubes.

So I guess it was just bad luck that the first, single socket I received did not fit. The recent sockets have no issue at all.

Weird though how these are all the very same make and model socket!

Thanks again to everyone!
Old 19th January 2009, 12:31 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Probably made by the same guys that made this one for me. Of course I didn't find this until I had the board all built. The tube wouldn't fit even if I used a hammer. Attempts to drill out the holes only broke the drill bits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg socketdontfit_a.jpg (71.0 KB, 182 views)
Old 19th January 2009, 03:35 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Hi George,

Quote:
Originally posted by tubelab.com
Probably made by the same guys that made this one for me. Of course I didn't find this until I had the board all built. The tube wouldn't fit even if I used a hammer. Attempts to drill out the holes only broke the drill bits.
Yeah... those sockets suck, sorry to say. I decided to write off my whole shipment and toss em

I got PCB and chassis version of these and all was OK

Click the image to open in full size.

Cheers!
Old 19th January 2009, 11:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yeah... those sockets suck, sorry to say.
I figured that out real quick. Fortunately I only have a few of them.

Quote:
I got PCB and chassis version of these and all was OK
Yeah, I like those too, but I didn't have enough of them and I was in a hurry to finish a board. Here is picture of the whole board with both kinds of sockets. Note that it is all wired up and ready to test. All went well until I tried to put the second 12AT7 in. Then the bad language started.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brandnewboard_b.jpg (98.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 19th January 2009, 11:25 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

In that situation i may have taken out the nailset and tried to crack it open
Old 20th January 2009, 01:41 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
In that situation i may have taken out the nailset and tried to crack it open
Close. I decided that I had to replace the socket, which was worthless. My home cooked PC boards are not the most robust, so I got out a large pair of channel lock pliers and crushed the socket. Then I used needle nose pliers and wire cutters to remove most of the ceramic. Then I could unsolder the pins one or two at a time. I put in a new socket and the board is still alive.

I am in the process of building up another test board using the same junk sockets. I made sure that the tubes fit FIRST this time. This is just a prototype test board that will wind up in the trash after it has been used for a few dozen experiments, so I decided to use up some of these sockets.

Hide this!Advertise here!