• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

This Connector for an Amp Umbilical?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm, once again, beginning work on my El Cheapo (Eli's PP 6V6 integrated amp). I need to put the PS in a separate enclosure. I've got an old 9 pin (the correct # by my estimation) Amphenol connector (salvaged from some sort of video equipment) that I'd like to use for the umbilical if it is possible. The little gold plated pins are spaced ~.125" apart. All nine are in a pattern ~.375"x.375". Are those pins too close together for these voltages? Is the connector safe with a 360V B+ rail? If this connector won't work, I'll likely use one of these: http://www.action-electronics.com/ampcpc.htm For all I know though, my little Amphenol is equally robust.

pj

It's the dielectric and the pin spacing which matter. AMP and Amphenol are two different companies. Both have a dizzying array of connectors.

FWIW, in amateur radio we used male and female octal connectors for outboard power supplies -- just make sure that the nasty ends aren't exposed to any finger parts.

I will probably go to purgatory for this -- but I have used 5 pin XLR's for tube stuff.

I used "amp" as an abbreviation for "amplifier." The connector is an amphenol. I haven't been able to find anything similar to it, and thus, no relevant datasheet. Here's a pic of the little guy:

Attachments

• amphenol 9 pin.jpg
    amphenol 9 pin.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 227
I haven't used these for tube stuff but I like the AMP Series 1 CPC connector. They're rated to 600VAC and 600VDC. You can get them with any number of contacts from 4 to 37 and they will accept 14 - 26 gauge wire. A representative AMP part number is 206061-1.

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/TE/bin/TE.Connect?C=1&M=BYPN&TCPN=206061-1&RQPN=206061-1#features

I've used those little blue things you show for signal and low voltage/low current applications -- don't know if they're good for higher voltages.

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.