• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chassis Grounding and rectifiers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think it's a good idea to ground a chassis with a 3 prong plug for safety reasons. I'm using a bridge rectifier and a regulator on the current build. It just occured to me that I might have a problem in the making.

If I solder the B- to the chassis and then go to ground with a 3 prong plug, have I not shorted out the bridge diode between the AC neutral and the B-, given that the AC neutral and ground are bonded at the circuit box?

Is that question clear? Of the four diodes in the diamond shaped bridge rectifier circuit that we are all familiar with, one of the four stands between the AC neutral and the B-. That's the one I suspect I'd be shorting (through the home wiring) by using the 3 pronged plug.

Is this correct and what are the consequences?

Thanks

Not to reason to worry.

Provided you are using a normal power transformer, the secondary windings are completely isolated from the primary and from ground, ie. floating.

There will thus be no shorting in your amp, nor in any of the other millions in operation with this arrangement.

SveinB.

You must use a transformer for isolation. Your concern sounds as if you intend to directly rectify the mains which is unsafe. Earth ground is used as a voltage reference. Current will flow from and back-to the isolation transformer. Earth ground will just pull the circuit down to ground potential so that it is not floating.

Neutral and earth ground are tied together, but before the breaker. If current flows in the earth ground, the breaker will trip.

Aside from the EXTREME hazard, using a bridge rectifier directly from mains is just not practical, as both + and - sides of the bridge will be LIVE with respect to ground. Use an isolation transformer. If current is small, use a second 6.3V transformer in reverse from your 6.3V heater winding to give (isolated) mains voltage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.