sorry, yet another newbie - what can I make with these??? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th January 2009, 12:56 AM   #11
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
the 3-3 I had not entirely discounted, other that in the versions I had found it is only a single mono amp as I haven't found a stereo version of it yet.
I don't understand what you mean. The 3-3 is just as capable of fulfilling a stereo function as any other design. The 'stereo version' of any amplifier is just two identical 'mono' amps working side by side to power the left and right channels respectively. Of course, you have the choice of building two completely independent mono amps, each with its own chassis, power supply and volume control, or a stereo amp on one chassis with a higher-capacity shared power supply and a dual-gang stereo volume control, or some combination. Whichever way you do it, though, you can still get stereo.

As for 3 watts not being enough, you're not going to get much higher power than that from a single EL84 per channel. If you need more power, you could buy an extra pair of EL84s and build two push-pull amps. Since the EL84 is such a popular tube (for good reasons), there are dozens of designs using it, giving mostly 3 to 5 watts single-ended (e.g. Mullard 3-3) or 10 to15 watts push-pull (e.g. Mullard 5-10).
Old 7th January 2009, 02:28 PM   #12
BusShed is offline BusShed  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your comments chaps.

I realise that a stereo amp is really just 2 mono amps with a shared power supply and a common volume control, I suppose I am really being lazy and hoping that I could find a tried and tested design where the power supply had been designed to run both channels and them both integrated onto the same chassis.

Having spent a large chunk of time yesterday reading some of the sites mentioned in the newbies thread, I have a lot better understanding if what is required, but mostly that I seem to need to do a lot more reading!

I like the idea of building with what I have; these valves, the speakers I have kicking around (Wharfdale diamond 7 Shelfstanders or a pair of small Denons - efficiency of which I have no idea) so I will start there. The idea of a stereo 5-10 seems to suite what I want best so I will see what can be done to achieve that. if anyone has a link to a power supply schematic that would achieve that it would be much appreciated...

Eli, I need to invest some time in your el cheapo thread... my initial glances over it have piqued my interest somewhat, even if it isn't applicable to my current pile of tubes...

I may go quiet now, while I do some reading and come up with some more dumb questions to bug you guys with.

Thanks again
Mark
Old 7th January 2009, 02:56 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by BusShed
Eli, I need to invest some time in your el cheapo thread... my initial glances over it have piqued my interest somewhat, even if it isn't applicable to my current pile of tubes...
Well it sort of is. You can use the EL84s instead of 12AQ5*. The 12At7/ECC81 is a critical part of the design. If you are going to do a PP amp, you need 2x as many EL84s and since you'd really need to have them all the same, you should be flipping the NOS Mullards.

We built a Class A EL84/triode version of Eli's amp that is stunning (and 3.2 W).

For your 1st amp, consider that an SE amp, which you can build with the parts you have, uses half as many tubes and is this simplier.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!