Pinnacle tubes?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2009, 12:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Pinaccle tubes??

Hi there.I have several nos 807 tubes that are branded as Pinaccle.
What is the real brand?
RCA?
STC?
Philips?

Can anyone help me?
Thanks

SD
Old 4th January 2009, 04:04 PM   #2
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I expect they're actually branded "Pinnacle". They may be Russian, but whether they are, or not, I've had good experiences with Pinnacle valves. Just use them.
Old 4th January 2009, 04:24 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yes, they're early days Soviet manufacture.  Don't know the actual factory.  Good tubes; I have a bunch of the type that's like half a 6SN7; 6J5, I think.

Aloha,

Poinz
Old 4th January 2009, 04:26 PM   #4
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Pinnacle 6J5GT are very nice (and Russian).
Old 4th January 2009, 05:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Russian?I thought these were Nato tubes.
Anyway,i am glad these are good tubes
I can't seem to find any data for these.Just for western types.

Does anyone has any data for the Pinaccle 807?
Old 7th January 2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Hi_Q is offline Hi_Q  England
diyAudio Member

Hi SD, Just to put you in the picture about Pinnacle Tubes.
Pinnacle were a non-manufacturing company, they were what we call box shifters. They acquired Tubes from various places like Italy, Russia, Japan and yes even some military surplus bulk stock.
Needless to say, their main criterion was to get them at lowest cost, even un-boxed if necessary, then put their own brand name 'Pinnacle' on them. They then put them into Pinnacle boxes and offered them for sale at a lower price than a Mullard or Brimar etc.
Another company called Z & I Aero did similar as also another called DeBanks who added a twist, They supplied you with fully stocked Tube cabinets for your workshop. A salesman would visit once a month to replace Tubes that had been used and you paid for the replacements. It is possible that Pinnacle had a similar arrangement with radio/TV repair shops and it was rumoured that DeBanks were in fact Pinnacle operating under another name.
As Tubes were being phased out, DeBanks started supplying Transistors, Diodes and Integrated Circuits. I think the gradual disappearance of repair shops here in the UK meant ever decreasing sales and DeBanks eventually ceased trading.
So you cannot ever find a detailed specification sheet for a Pinnacle Tube but it is probably quite OK to use another manufacturers data sheet as the characteristics need not necessarily be too far different. In fact, Pinnacle and DeBanks tubes work very well and I had a pair of 6146 tubes from Z & I working in the final of my ham rig for many years without problems.
Best Regards
Les
Old 8th January 2009, 06:25 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Les,this is priceless information!!!!!

Many thanks!!!

Stavros D

Hide this!Advertise here!