Any HP 8903 audio analyzer owners? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2009, 08:51 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any HP 8903 audio analyzer owners?

I've written some test software for the HP 8903 audio analyzer that does swept measurements and plots. You can see some samples here:

http://www.pmillett.com/307a_pushpull_amp.htm

I figured since I went to the trouble of writing these, it would be nice to share them.

A runtime-only version of HP VEE is available for free download from Agilent. I have saved runtime versions of my programs. So now I'm looking for somebody who has an 8903 (connected to a GPIB card in a PC) who'd like to test it. I don't want to mess with my test system that has the full version of VEE installed... I'm afraid I'll break something!

You might be restricted to National Instruments or HP GPIB cards - not sure if VEE can talk to any others. And you do have to have the GPIB card driver installed.

Any volunteers?

Pete
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:13 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Any HP 8903 audio analyzer owners?

Quote:
Originally posted by pmillett
I've written some test software for the HP 8903 audio analyzer that does swept measurements and plots. You can see some samples here:

http://www.pmillett.com/307a_pushpull_amp.htm

I figured since I went to the trouble of writing these, it would be nice to share them.

A runtime-only version of HP VEE is available for free download from Agilent. I have saved runtime versions of my programs. So now I'm looking for somebody who has an 8903 (connected to a GPIB card in a PC) who'd like to test it. I don't want to mess with my test system that has the full version of VEE installed... I'm afraid I'll break something!

You might be restricted to National Instruments or HP GPIB cards - not sure if VEE can talk to any others. And you do have to have the GPIB card driver installed.

Any volunteers?

Pete
Pete,

I have an 8903 and a GPIB card - will be glad to be a volunteer / Beta tester. You can PM me offline if you wish.

-- josť k.
Old 2nd January 2009, 12:21 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I WANT a 8903 does that count for anything???....No? ok...
Old 2nd January 2009, 01:43 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have the requisite 8903A. I don't have a GPIB card yet, but I will be looking for one. I would be interested in trying some of your programs.
Old 12th July 2009, 06:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Pete
I too have a 8903, and am beginning to write software for it. I would love to see what you have and share what I come up with.
Thanks
Doug
Old 13th July 2009, 07:28 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Doug -

I'm traveling for a week, but when I get home I can send you some stuff to try out. If you don't hear from me, shoot me an email.

Pete
Old 21st August 2009, 05:06 AM   #7
tomchr is online now tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I've landed myself an 8903A on FleaBay recently. It shows Error 18 at start-up (dead counter or malfunction in source tuning) so I'll have some fun fixing it before calibrating and using it.

I'm thinking along the same lines of developing some scripts to do sweeps. And I have a handful of other GPIB instruments to talk to anyway. I was thinking to use the interfaces by Prologix. Probably the GPIB-Ethernet variety. That would be a fairly slick solution. The NI compatible GPIB cards tend to be quite expensive.

~Tom
Old 24th October 2009, 04:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Owners of HP8903a/b's can trade them in to Agilent for a $2,400 credit toward the purchase of am U8903a -- this has cleaned up the market for 8903's -- the offer is good through November 1, 2009.

FWIW, I use the Prologix GPIB-USB converter with my HP3577a.
Old 24th October 2009, 04:19 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I use an 8903B and Prologix box. The other GPIB solutions are too rich for me. I've written some test software for the Prologix that works well, though I still need to do some debugging on the graph scaling. I seem to work on it about once every 6-12 months, so it's time again!
Old 24th October 2009, 06:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

You can always dump into Excel --

I should learn to be more patient with 2D graphics --

Hide this!Advertise here!