• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

S-5 Electronics K-16LS & 6V6 Substitution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Since the 6AQ5 and 6V6 are electrically equivalent, I assume that the latter could be substituted for the former in the S-5 K-16LS amplifier without any circuit modifications. Am I correct? This interests me because the 6V6 is a current production tube and appears to be more rugged than the 6AQ5.

Has anyone tried this?

Regards,

Karl

Attachments

• aria_mini_el34.jpg
    aria_mini_el34.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 371
I'm looking for an amplifier to mate with my new mini monitors, a pairof NSM Model 5 speakers. They are excellent: very open, balanced, and even capable of bass output. Now is time to consider a new amp to replace the Sony tuner amp (not vintage)I've been using for several years.

My Model 5s have a sensitivity of 85 dB, so 15 to 20 Watts should be sufficient. I'm considering tubes, solid state, or even hybrid. I asked the question regarding 6V6 substitution so I could consider future modifications.

What is bass reproduction like with the stock iron?

Regards,

Karl

Zibi -

I am considering the "scratch build" route using 6v6s and 12SL7s. There is a Dynaco 6BQ5 P-P schematic on the Triode Electronics site in the Schematics Index under Dynaco. According to the schematic, 6SL7s and 6V6s can be substituted for the 12AX7s and 6BQ5s, respectively, that are specified. I have a box of 12SL7s that I would like to begin using, and 6V6s are pretty reasonably priced. The schematic should offer plenty of opportunities to experiment. I know that Eli D. and others think highly of the 6V6.

Has anyone tried this or a similar schematic?

Regards,

Karl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.