• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

how to calculate current requirement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Power Transformer mA Calculator

RMS said:
I thought this might help you out, though I just saw your post now; its been a while since I have visited here. But I am now working on an audio project so......

Here is the calculator:
Power Transformer mA Calculator
I think there's an error with that calculator. If you select "diodes" (I assume that means silicon?) it gives you a rather low DC voltage.
e.g., if you select the 250-0-250V transformer it tells you that you have 325Vdc, but it should be closer to 350V...

I dont see why 2 6L6s at full swing in class AB couldnt pass 200ma or more, depends a whole lot on your assumptions.

The RCA datasheet puts a pair in AB2 at 360V with 22.5V fixed bias as consuming 205ma max signal (88ma idle), add screens and preamps. Calculator is conservative due to scenarios such as this. AB1 at higher voltage is similar.

STC 807 datasheet puts pair in AB2 at 400V as 240ma max signal.

Re: Re: Power Transformer mA Calculator

Merlinb said:

I think there's an error with that calculator. If you select "diodes" (I assume that means silicon?) it gives you a rather low DC voltage.
e.g., if you select the 250-0-250V transformer it tells you that you have 325Vdc, but it should be closer to 350V...

Yes, you are right, it was calculating a little too low. I did some more actual testing and have come up with a better ratio I think.

Thanks for testing it out.

The bias calculator I should note is for Class AB and is the bias at idle current at 70% max plate dissipation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.