For all new tube junkies - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th April 2003, 02:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
Default For all new tube junkies

I just wanted to post a link to a site that i found last night, that was the most basic explanation of tubes and tube amp construction i have ever seen. I've been reading about tube amps for six months now and every time a "TUBE AMP PRIMER" type page was linked it ended up being over my head with charts and math....and i didn't really have the basic understanding down yet. I think this guy did a good job of clarifying the concepts i hadn't yet grasped.

So for all those still confused i submit :

http://www.boozhoundlabs.com/howto/

I hope this helps.

-Maz
Old 11th April 2003, 09:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Maz-

I skimmed this and enjoyed it. I get something out of every article on tubes that I read.

I would add that he probably should discuss hum control circuitry on the heaters. Basic stuff, easy to implement, really helps. But, if his amps work without so much the better.

Thanks for the resource--it did help me.

Rick
Old 11th April 2003, 09:47 PM   #3
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

That's a good site. I've been there years before but he's a lot further along now.
Old 12th April 2003, 06:08 AM   #4
qwad is offline qwad  Australia
diyAudio Member

yeah, great site, very informative, now it's time to apply this new found knowledge to something of our own, first thing is I have a bunch of NOS 807's plus some 6sn7's, I"ve been wanting to make aSE toob amp with... "ll probably take little time to absorb it before I GET confident 'enough to get the solder ring iron out I 'm a bit like the author SOMetimes I comiserate with myself too much and let my self doubt slow me down, but then the wayhe explains it seems pretty logical and shall I be brave enough to say it simple CHeers TJB

Hide this!Advertise here!