Sovtek KT88 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th December 2008, 04:42 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Sovtek KT88

Hello!

Does anybody have any datasheet and/or charts for Sovtek KT88?

Thanks,

Miha
Old 29th December 2008, 06:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Datasheets on this page:

http://tinyurl.com/9z8u7o

Cheers.

ZAP
Old 30th December 2008, 10:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Yeah I know, but nothing about Sovtek KT88.. and more interesting nothing on Google.. and anybody talks about the consistency and great power handling. I dont know where they get that info..?.

Anyway I want to build a SE KT88 guitar amp. Which do you suggest would handle most plate dissipation?

Thanks,

Miha
Old 31st December 2008, 12:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have tested a few different KT88's in SE at what could be called "excessive" dissipation. The EH KT88's that have the additional heat radiating fins welded to the plates can handle 45 to 50 watts or more without glowing. Some Sovteks may have these fins but the pair that I have do not. These should be kept to 40 to 45 watts. The EH tubes seem to be the best in the overdissipation department.
Old 16th May 2010, 05:49 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Bennybuis
Hi everybody,

I have 4 of those Sovtek KT 88 in an OddWatt DIY amp and I love them, great sounding tubes. Well, in my circuit, SIPP, one of the grids is layed to ground, and not all tubes like their grid to ground. The EH KT88 won't stay balanced in my amp, the Sovteks do stay balanced perfectly. This amplifier is the best I ever heard, so if you have interest, drop me a pm.

Kind regards from Holland

Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KT88 VS GU50.jpg (116.4 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg side finished.JPG (121.3 KB, 455 views)
File Type: jpg under the hood final.JPG (201.0 KB, 448 views)
Old 16th May 2010, 09:32 AM   #6
Sendy is offline Sendy  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Sorry, in last years we asked russian and NS tubes dealers about Sovtek datasheets, but no information...
Old 16th May 2010, 04:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I don't know about the power handling of the recent EH KT88's. Mine will glow well below 40 Watts and like Bennybuis I can't keep them balanced either.

I'd be interested in trying the Sovteks.
Old 17th May 2010, 08:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Bennybuis
Default Sovtek KT88 data sheet

Hi Gregory, (I hope this is your name),

looking at my Sovtek KT88 closely, they look very much exactly like those made by JJ (or Tesla, the same thing) I am not certain, but maybe New Sensor buys those at the Tesla plant. This factory is Czech. But most tubes New Sensor sells under the brand name Sovtek are made in Russia at Reflector Corp in Saratov. So that is where the KT88 could originate from, too. Nonetheless, I cannot supply you with a spec sheet either. Here is what I found:

Reflector Corp, Saratov

Reflector makes most of the tubes marketed by New Sensor Co. of New York under their "Sovtek" and "Electro-Harmonix" brand names. Some are old Russian tubes, others are made especially for export. They recently acquired the Tung-Sol, Mullard and Genalex trademarks and are making replicas of famous audio tubes from these long out-of-business companies. Types in production:

12AX7EH, 12AX7LP, 12AX7LPS, 12AX7WXT+, 5751, 7027, EL34WXT, 6550WE, 6550WD, KT88, 6L6WXT+,

5881, 6922, 6EU7, 7199, EF86, EL84, 300B, 2A3, 6A3, 6B4G, 6072A, 6973, 7868, 7591A, 7591XYZ, KT66, KT88,

5AR4, and many others. Also variants of above bearing "EH" suffix. "Sovtek" also markets 5U4G,

5Y3GT, 6SN7, 6SL7, 6N1P, two 12AX7s (WA and WB) and a few other types made at other Russian factories, primarily Voskhod Kaluga.

Note: there is no "Sovtek" factory. "Sovtek" is only an American brand name owned by New Sensor.

(New Sensor currently owns the Svetlana "S" trademark name and logo in the USA, and is attaching this logo to Reflector-made tubes.) (Note: There was a factory in Kaluga called Voskhod Kaluga. They once made 6V6s and 12AX7s for New Sensor. Their continued production cannot be confirmed at this time.)

The only funny thing is, according to that, Reflector makes KT88 under the Sovtek brand name and under the Electro Harmonix brand name as well, but those two tubes are very different, the Sovtek KT88 is maybe the best KT88 there is right now, but the Electro Harmonix don't stay ballanced in my amp.

Best regards from Holland

Ben

Last edited by Bennybuis; 17th May 2010 at 08:36 AM.
Old 17th May 2010, 09:33 AM   #9
Sendy is offline Sendy  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

Sorry, Tesla are NOT JJ tubes ! Tesla KT88 was produced in Prague (Tesla Vršovice - Czech Republic), and JJ are still in production in Čadca (Slovak Republic). More information (with some mistakes) is here KT88 and 6550 Tube Directory.
May be you have a fake Tesla tubes (from Russia or Chinese) ?
Old 18th May 2010, 12:36 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

If I am not mistaken, it is also the same plant that makes the recent version of the Genalex Gold Lion. I have been very pleased with them. Very Stable

Hide this!Advertise here!