• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

need manual for heathkit sp2

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help
I have heathkit sp2 pre ,I have no sound from output to amp on either channel and yet tape out works plugging into receiver, I have no manual and am looking for one and advise , I replaced all caps in p/s and am waiting for coupling caps ,would greatly appreciate any help offered
Thanks John

John-
A few things you didn't mention, but have probably checked already:
-Have you downloaded the schematic? There's a good pdf available (free) online and a gif as well.
-Are the tubes good?
-Have you checked voltages at the tubes and in the power supply?
-Have you used contact cleaner on the input selector switch?

I don't know how much you've worked on tube circuits, but it sounds like you know what you are doing with a soldering iron. Do be careful- I find that it is often better to clip the test leads to the test points rather than risk having the probe slip. Definitely clip the COM lead to ground and only use one hand to work the +probe. There are good safety hints in a thread at the top of the 'Tubes' section here.

Next step would be to rig up a signal tracer. The SP2 is not a very complicated circuit, so you will be successful.

Cheers
John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.