• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

can trafo laminations rest on chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got an old TEK LV transformer that I'd like to use as a power transformer for a project. It's large and heavy, so in an effort to lower the center of gravity of the finished unit, can I cut a square hole into the top plate and secure the transformer to the aluminum chassis with laminations resting against the top plate or is this a bad idea?

That's what I did with my PT. Cut a hole and let it drop through. It's not sitting exactly on the laminations, though. There is a nut on the end of the bolt that goes through the lams. I did not remove that nut before I mounted the transformer.

Aluminum chassis might be a good idea - easier to cut, and no magnetic interaction with the transformer.

On a related note, is there any downside to mounting a transformer as shown?

I smoked my planned "upright mount" style hammond and had this through-the-deck mount style in the parts bin, so I mounted it on standoffs.

Attachments

• aikido transformer.jpg
    aikido transformer.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 174
CarlyBoy said:
I've got an old TEK LV transformer that I'd like to use as a power transformer for a project. It's large and heavy, so in an effort to lower the center of gravity of the finished unit, can I cut a square hole into the top plate and secure the transformer to the aluminum chassis with laminations resting against the top plate or is this a bad idea?

If you bolt the transformer top and bottom you are creating a single shorted turn through the bolt and the chassis !

There was a warning against doing this when I recieved my transformer......

Re: Re: can trafo laminations rest on chassis?

nigelwright7557 said:

If you bolt the transformer top and bottom you are creating a single shorted turn through the bolt and the chassis !

Many transformers have a insulating shoulder washer on one end of the long bolt to prevent that when necessary. But I have also seen original transformers that do not. So I guess it depends on how the transformer is constructed.

edit: This may also depend on the material used for the bolt. Whether it is steel or non-magnetic (300 series) stainless steel.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.