• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

any Welborne Labs Ultrapath owners ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Anybody here built the Welborne Labs Ultrapath preamp kit ?
I just built it, sounds good however there seems to be way too much gain and the dip switch thingy on the stepped attenuatorfor adjusting gain increments doesnt seem to be working.

I tried putting a resistor on the output but it appears to lose some of the low end.

Any suggestions for reducing the gain ?

ljk11 said:
what is the difference between putting the divider on the output of the preamp as opposed to put it on the input of the amp ?

It's the same as putting a pot at the output of the source as opposed to the input of the line stage. With very short cables, very little. With long cables, it could be an issue.

How about reducing gain in the source, or in the GC? Check the datasheet to see how low the gain can be set while remaining stable. Otherwise, increase R1 a bit.

well I can live with it for the while but rather not.

One other thing is powering it off/on causes bad thumps/crackles in the amp, probably because of the relays used in the remote control attenuator/battery switching circuit.

I've email Welborne but no reply so far.

It might be interesting to know which amp you are driving with the preamp. Can the amp be reduced by one stage to make use of the gain in the preamp? I think it is always a bad idea to build up gain only to reduce it in a following stage. What is the point in that?

I think it is better to start at the grids of the output tubes and work forward towards the input. Use as few stages as possible to get the gain you need to drive the output tubes to full power taking into account any feedback that reduces the gain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.