• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

McIntosh transformer turns ratio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was studying the MC275 schematic and was wondering what the turns ratio is for that output transformer.

I searched and found another thread where Douglas (Bandersnatch) said that it is 8:1 to the 8 ohm tap. I'm guessing that this is the ratio of turns on one of the primaries to the 8 ohm secondary (three total primaries). Since the output tubes work into two of the primaries, as far as the output tubes are concerned the turns ratio is 16:1.

Is this correct? Anyone know anything about these transformer specs?

The three primary windings on this transformer are 600 ohms each, end to end. IE: Plate to plate = 600 ohms; cathode to cathode = 600 ohms; driver plate to driver plate = 600 ohms.
The MC60, MC75 are 600 ohms. The MC30 and MC40 are 1000 ohms.
Hope this helps...
Daniel

Thanks, Daniel.

I was looking at the Plitron unity coupled transformer and the turns ratio seemed a bit high (over 28:1 ratio for all primaries to the secondary). If the Mac transformer is exactly 600 ohms this would be a turns ratio of about 8.6:1 per primary winding or a little over 17:1 for the entire output tube load, since it uses two windings to load the power tubes.

Have I got all this right?

It seems that the primary impedance of the Plitron is quite a bit higher at about 1600 ohms for the plate to plate winding with an 8 ohm load. It seems to me at first glance that you wouldn't get nearly as much power out with the Plitron transformer.

Any thoughts?

Download a copy of the Radiotron Designer's Handbook. It covers the McIntosh output transformer design.

If you split a standard output transformer between the plate and cathode, you've changed the turns ratio by splitting the primary that way (4 not 2 sections). If you work the turns vs. impedance equation then, it all makes very simple sense!

_-_-bear

As far as I can tell, Plitron is spec'ing that high 28:1 ratio for a 4k primary impedance, which is the equivalent load seen by the tubes, given a 5 ohm secondary impedance. The actual windings are 1k, like the MC30, but for a strange 5 ohm secondary. I'd hope that they could make a standard 4/8 ohm winding instead. Nice transformer, but the price is way out of my league. :(

SpreadSpectrum said:
Unfortunately, when you load the 1070UC with 8 ohms you get almost a 6400 ohm primary impedance, which just throws away power in my opinion.

I emailed Plitron and they said that they could alter the design if I agree to buy in quantity. Not likely!

Quantity!?!? That's disappointing ... I'd love to buy a pair (if I had $700 to spare), but 5R output is just too useless.
:mad:

If this is for your own project and not any sort of business endeavor, email me regarding another possible option :smash:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.