• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

12E1 & S11E12 as a KT88 substitution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I notice that one of the UK tube vendors (Billington AFAIR) is touting the 12E1 and/or the S11E12 (capless version of the 12E1) as a substitute for the KT88, and have a sample amp to demonstrate the effectiveness of the substitution. Presumably this is to assist in selling the vast quantities of 12E1s and S11E12s available on the military surplus market. The schematic is not published but available to those who buy tubes off them.
Q: Has anyone tried out these tubes and compared with the "Real McCoy" KT88s, and what were your findings. What are the essential differences in circuitry when the substitution is made?.
Cheers
M
(sitting on a substantial pile of S11E12/CV4060s)

s11e12

I tried S11E12 in a PP1 clone (el34 pp amp, design Allen Wright). It sounded just as good or better than the other tubes I tried (KT66, el34). But I read somewhere that these tubes, designed for regulated powersupplies, don't like fixed bias !

This is the Billington design.
They use a 1300 ohm cathode resistor under the tubes with 400V B+

Attachments

• 12e1amp1.gif
    12e1amp1.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 923
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.