What was the diy world like before the internet? - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2009, 07:03 AM   #71
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010

My father was pulled over by the police whilst walking late at night and when they found his Swiss Army knife they said much the same thing! Apparently, a lot of convincing was required.

That's just stupid
Old 14th January 2009, 11:57 AM   #72
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to DigitalJunkie
Quote:
Originally posted by Richard Ellis
Yeah I remember Radar Electric...still got one of their 'Catalogs' Thick puppy. They were hardcore & very professional, neat store, organized that is..unlike most Hobbyist types.
Then there was/is Norvac Electronics..It was in a small place south of Westgate theatre in Beaverton.
I distinctly recall the huge 30" electrovoice driver at Layfayette it was on display way up high..I would assume to keep curious fingers off the dustcap!
The speaker store Jamac? was out past the Grotto on Sandy Blvd the southside of the street.
Kinda wierd remembering these places as it has been at least twenty years or so...just shows all of us how these experiences have molded us in our hobby.

I totally forgot about Norvac,I've still never been in there,I think it still exists,atleast it did the last time I drove by there a year or so ago.

It's funny you mention the 30" EV....There are two 30" cones/voice coils hanging on the wall at Jamac..IIRC,he said they came out of an organ of some sort. They are Big Beasties!

A few years ago,A friend told me about another shop in town,somewhere around 50-something and Glisan? I don't recall exactly,but I've been meaning to go there for 5+ years now! It might not even exist anymore.

Before the 'net,I was relegated to Radio Shack,the Library (they have quite a few good electronics-related books),and Radio/Popular Electronics magazines.

On another kinda OT note,As a teen I was once arrested for a curfew violation,and the officer told me I had to register my belt and keyring as concealed weapons before I could carry them on my person again... Yeah,Right.
Old 24th January 2009, 12:20 PM   #73
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by Geek
That's just stupid
I'm not sure massive intelligence is a good idea in a beat constable.
Old 24th January 2009, 01:37 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010

My father was pulled over by the police whilst walking late at night and when they found his Swiss Army knife they said much the same thing! Apparently, a lot of convincing was required.
Perhaps he was secretly a member of the Timson family (you have to be a Rumpole fan!).

The great thrill from the early 1960's was the arrival of the Allied Electronics catalog -- almost 50 years later I still find myself ordering from them. When I was 13 or so my dad got me one of their 100-in-1 kits with which I made an A.M. transmitter, an audio amplifier, code practice oscillator, etc. I still have parts from that thing lying around the workspace.

The monthly arrival of QST was also a delight -- it always arrived on Saturday as the postman read it for a few days --

I remember too when the Viet Nam war was raging the price of RG-58/U amd RG-8/U cable shot up dramatically
Old 24th January 2009, 02:52 PM   #75
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by jackinnj
Perhaps he was secretly a member of the Timson family (you have to be a Rumpole fan!).
Three cheers for Rumpole (and especially Leo McKern)! Sadly, his creator John Mortimer died last week.
Old 24th January 2009, 05:29 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

The ARRL 1985 Handbook for the radio amateur
Attached Images
File Type: jpg arrl_1985_handbook.jpg (99.6 KB, 100 views)
Old 25th January 2009, 03:13 AM   #77
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by oldeurope
The ARRL 1985 Handbook for the radio amateur
I have a number from the 1950s through the 1970s and a mid 1980s copy. I find them quite useful and interesting to read. I like building things, but found tube hifi quite a bit more interesting than ham radio..
Old 25th January 2009, 05:14 AM   #78
diyAudio Member

The Boys Book of Electricity- I think the first edition was written in the late 1800s Showed me how to wind my own coils, and make microphones from 10 penny nails. I grew up with AxMan surplus in St. Paul- that tiny building was packed to the ceiling with components and tubes. I didn't start building anything resembling audio gear until I moved to Florida, and began to hang around in the service shops around town, looking for flybacks from tube type TVs.

I met some crazy do it yourself types from Tampa, and traded an old Sansui tube integrated to one of them for an old Dynaco PAS 3 into which he had cobbled the "Last Pass" circuit from Audio Amateur. I took it all apart, and rebuilt the board using bits I had gathered from my electronics class in high school, as it had been executed rather poorly. Shortly after, I took the unit down to the local dealer to try out on the amplifier I was looking to buy, and they hired me as a repair technician. The road downhill had begun.

I never even looked at the net for much, up until the last three years, or so. Its a great resource, though nothing like actually making something yourself. There is so much talk up here about building, I wonder how many of us have the time left over to get around to actually do it.

Hide this!Advertise here!