which 300B project? help please - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th April 2003, 06:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Mach_Y
Default which 300B project? help please

Well, as I find myself sitting half way across the world in a desert on deployment, I decided that I'll need to treat myself to a 300B amplifier setup when I get to return back home. I would like to build it myself (I've built 2 of Doc Bottlehead's foreplay preamps so far). There just seem to be so many choices, I am not sure where to go. Doc Bottlehead has his own 300B monoblock kits, at $1500 without tubes. I've seen a few others on various websites. A commonly talked one is the JE Labs 300B schematic on Angela. Seems simple enough to put together, but in terms of parts I am lost. It seems I could spend anywhere from $50 on handmade transformers to over $500 on exotic ones. Without having a way to listen to the different ones, I am hoping for help. I don't have the money to do a bunch of swaps to figure out what I want, but if I can do perfectly fine with the $50 handmades, and maybe a few years later upgrade, I will. Same goes for caps / resistors. I guess that would be part of the fun in finding out which swaps to higher grade components yield the most gain in how good the amps sound. Last, I am not capable of making my own chassis plates (at least I don't think I am). Any suggestions where to get the chassis prepunched? Thanks again for everyone's help.

Mark
Old 8th April 2003, 07:16 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

How about...

http://gabevee.tripod.com/cgv300b.html ?

Inexpensive, simple, great sounding, priced with tubes and high quality One Electron transformers!

Just read customer comments. Also, unit now looks much better than the one in the picture. New picture coming soon.

Gabe
Old 8th April 2003, 07:18 PM   #3
Joel is offline Joel  United States
diyAudio Member

Are my tax dollars paying for you to surf the net?
Old 8th April 2003, 08:55 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
Are my tax dollars paying for you to surf the net?
YES!(I think)
Is his life on the line to have a free country for you to surf the net from?YES

Robert Morin
Old 8th April 2003, 08:58 PM   #5
Joel is offline Joel  United States
diyAudio Member

I doubt they have combat zone internet access... but anyway.... what was the question?
Old 8th April 2003, 09:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Mach_Y
Joel: I am not going to apologize for having internet access where I am. On occasion, we have a chance to get online to send email to love ones, or to browse as a means to decompress. Personally I think about audio or building something to do with audio to relax. You are certainly entitled to your opinion that that is a waste of your tax money, and I will defend your right to that opinion to the death. Whether or not you agree with what the military is doing right now is another matter. But believe me, I did not choose to leave my wife for an unknown amount of time. I also do not feel bad having a way to assure her that I am still alive.

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Morin

YES!(I think)
Is his life on the line to have a free country for you to surf the net from?YES

Robert Morin
Thank you Robert.

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
I doubt they have combat zone internet access... but anyway.... what was the question?
Actually, we do. It is the best way for soldiers to be able to communicate with their loved ones to let them know they are ok. Regular mail takes roughly 3-4 weeks, while email is almost instantantaneous.

With that said, any other comments on my original question of places to look at for kits or plans for 300B monoblocks or stereo amps? Thanks.

Mark
Old 8th April 2003, 09:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Joel,

Ever heard of DSL? That is how they are sending us video coverage of the war.

You should know that the military is at least 20 years advanced than the rest of the world in technology.

Gabe
Old 8th April 2003, 10:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Mach_Y

First of all a hearty thank you for putting your life on the life in order to safeguard our freedom that we prize so highly.

You are certainly due some leasure time and it pleases me that you also share the zest for the audio bug.

Just my .02 here.... I would have to recommend that you contact Gabe. This is based on the good feedback I have received from friends. I haven't personally had the priviledge of seeing his product but others seem to be very satisfied.

Take care!

Joe
Old 9th April 2003, 12:10 AM   #9
PassFan is offline PassFan  United States
diyAudio Member

I can attest to Gabevee's product. I built one of his kits, and a schematic off his web site. I am in the process of building his 2A3 design which is in another thread in this forumn. If, by chance, you decide to go it alone let me know. I will help you any way I can, even punching out your chassis for you. Keep your head down and God Bless You and Your Family.
Old 9th April 2003, 12:45 AM   #10
diyAudio Senior Member

Default SYMPATHY ALL OVER.

Hi,

From what I see, most of the SE designs suffer from whimpy PSU designs.

FWIW, a simple test done amongst friends showed that any SE design approaches PP bass slam when it was given a well designed PSU.

Tests were done with highly efficient speakers, so efficient that, indeed, you wouldn't think it'd make a difference.

If you can, make driver and output PSU as independent from each other as possible and enjoy real IDHT sound.

Not that I'm such a big fan of SETs but the idea is worth pursuing in any topology really.

My 2 cents and a big heart to all US soldiers involved in Vietnam II,

Hide this!Advertise here!